Intro Physics Book? Best Books for Beginners

In summary, for someone interested in learning introductory physics, there are several options available. One highly recommended book is "The Mechanical Universe" by Benjamin Crowell, which can be found for free online. Another option is Halliday and Resnick's "Fundamentals of Physics", which covers the necessary calculus as you progress through the book.
little_ein
Howdy all! I'm really interested in physics and I'm looking for a really good introductory phyics book. Since it might be asked I've only had a algebra one and a semester of geometry. I pretty certain that I can teach myself algebra two and pre-calc. So any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't want to spend any money, lightandmatter (Benjamin Crowell) has some good intro books for free, at least in their digital form.

http://www.lightandmatter.com/

I'd start off with Newtonian physics.

I really liked "The Mechanical Universe", which is pretty cheap, used.
It teaches the calculus you will need for the physics. Good book.

Halliday and Resnick's Fundamentals of Physics.

- Warren

chroot said:
Halliday and Resnick's Fundamentals of Physics.

- Warren
I second this recommendation. You can teach yourself the bits of calculus you need as you progress through this book.

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn physics?

The best book for beginners to learn physics is "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject with clear explanations and examples.

2. Can I learn physics without any prior knowledge?

Yes, "Introductory Physics" by John D. Cutnell and Kenneth W. Johnson is a great book for beginners with no prior knowledge of physics. It starts with the basics and gradually builds up to more advanced concepts.

3. Are there any interactive books available for learning physics?

Yes, "The Manga Guide to Physics" by Hideo Nitta and Keita Takatsu is a fun and interactive book that uses manga-style illustrations and storytelling to explain physics concepts in an engaging way.

4. Is there a book that covers both classical and modern physics?

"University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman is a comprehensive book that covers both classical and modern physics. It is suitable for beginners as well as advanced students.

5. What is the best way to study from an intro physics book?

The best way to study from an intro physics book is to read each chapter carefully and make notes, solve practice problems, and review the material regularly. It is also helpful to supplement your learning with online resources and videos.