Troubleshooting Slow Internet: Tips and Tricks for Improving Your Connection

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, the individual is experiencing slow internet speeds at home, despite having cleared spyware and viruses and having a wireless system. Other computers in the house work fine, and the individual has 512mb ram. Suggestions are made to check for a worm, scan the hard drive and test memory, and consider using a different virus protection. It is also mentioned that the internet works fine at school and when closer to the wireless network. It is suggested to try changing the wireless channel and to consider potential interference from other devices. The individual is also asked if the laptop is used at the same time as other computers in the house.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My internet is going very slow. I can barely download a website nevermind a file over 1mb.

I have Spybot and cleared all spyware and immunize the files. I did an Norton Virus scan, and got rid of a cookie I had. That was all.

I have wireless system hooked up, and like "repaired" the thing. It's an option on the thing, but it didn't really find anything wrong. The other computers in the house work fine. It is cable internet.

I also have 512mb ram, so I don't think I'm running out of ram.

Thanks for any help. :approve:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you use a firewall?

If its wireless are you using it in the same place you always have? Try updating or reinstalling the wireless card drivers. See if the problem is the same if you move the computer closer to your wireless router.
one last thing, I like adware from lavasoft, it cleans up a lot of things but I doubt it will fix the problem its just a nice program to use.

Look at how the system resources are being consumed. You may have picked up a worm that is hijacking your system to spread itself. If you have recently opened an email containing an image (especially concerning storms, weather, etc) you may have a nasty one.

Do some basic tests. Scan your hard drive to make sure that isn't an issue. Second, test your memory (memtest.org works well). If you have another wireless card you could swap into make sure it isn't a problem with that piece of hardware.

Next thing is Norton -- I used to use it but it was a resource hog and caused problems with my internet connection because it took so long to scan everything that was incoming. You may want to consider an alternate virus protector.

Start trying things and maybe we could help with more specific issues.

Ok, it's working fine at school.

So nothing is wrong with the computer. But it can't be the hardware or the location I'm in, because the hardware works (I'm downloading something right now) and the location at home has always been the same.

I'll try different areas in the house and see what happens.

Thanks guys.

Is your wireless access point protected? Are you *sure* nobody else is consuming your BW?

If someone was using my bandwith, then my other computers wouldn't be downloading faster either. They are downloading like normal.

Also, it is protected. We tried unprotected, but it doesn't work.

My internet still goes slow at home even when I'm closer to the wireless network.

I know nothing is wrong with my card because it works fine at school. I'll try my sisters laptop at home and see how that goes.

Do you have the option of changing the "channel" (I don't remember if that's what it's called...I know I had to play with it when I first moved here because my neighbors also have wireless and I was getting a slow connection due to interference between multiple wireless networks running on too similar of a channel) you're using for your wireless connection to your server? Maybe you're getting interference from something else? I only know macs though, so I'm not sure what you can and can't change on PCs.

Do you use your laptop at the same time of day as the other computers in the house are used? Maybe it's just that your cable service is slower during the times you're using it, or when your laptop is added to all the other computers in the house sharing it, that slows down everything, but you don't notice if you disconnect your laptop before checking another computer? I'm just throwing out some wild guesses here.

1. Why is my internet so slow?

There could be a variety of reasons for slow internet speeds. It could be due to network congestion, outdated equipment, or a problem with your internet service provider. It's important to run some diagnostic tests to determine the root cause of the issue.

2. How can I improve my internet speed?

There are a few things you can try to improve your internet speed. First, make sure you are using a wired connection instead of Wi-Fi, as this can often result in faster speeds. You can also try restarting your modem and router, clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or upgrading your internet plan with your provider.

3. Is my internet speed affected by the number of devices connected?

Yes, the more devices that are connected to your network, the more bandwidth is being used, which can result in slower speeds. If you have multiple devices connected, try disconnecting some or using a guest network for non-essential devices.

4. How do I know what my internet speed should be?

Your internet speed can vary depending on your location, internet service provider, and the plan you have. You can check your internet speed by running an online speed test, and then compare it to the advertised speed from your provider.

5. Can the weather affect my internet speed?

In some cases, severe weather conditions such as heavy rain or snow can cause disruptions to your internet service. This is because these weather conditions can damage or interfere with the physical infrastructure, such as cables and antennas, that provide your internet connection. If you notice a sudden decrease in internet speed during bad weather, it's best to contact your provider for assistance.