Blind Man's Buff in Madrid

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary, the emblem on the main page of the Strings '07 website for the conference in Madrid is a painting by Goya called THE BLIND CHICKEN, which portrays a blindfolded girl in the center of a circle of dancers who elude her attempts to connect with them. The painting is believed to be an allegory of M-theory, surrounded by superstring possibilities. The conference's list of speakers can be found by clicking on individual dancers in the circle. The painting is described as a sympathetic view of string thinkers and was commissioned as a model for tapestry.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I've adapted this comment from Peter Woit's blog (about the announcement
http://gesalerico.ft.uam.es/strings07/ for the Strings '07 conference in Madrid): ...the emblem on the main page of the Strings ‘07 website
is a 1789 oil painting by Goya called THE BLIND CHICKEN
(La Gallina Ciega) or translated into English “Blind Man’s Buff”.

The blindfolded girl is in the center of a circle of dancers,
who elude her attempts to connect with them.

There is a sunset, the players are aristocrats, it is pretty but
inexplicably melancholy.

To get further information about the Strings ‘07 conference,
click on individual dancers in the circle.
http://gesalerico.ft.uam.es/strings07/

To me, the blindfolded young lady in the middle of the circle looks like an allegory of M-theory, something which so far has never been seen. She is surrounded by elusive entities joined in a ring by the duality of holding each other’s hands.
It seems to be an emblem of the Unknown M-theory surrounded by superstring possibilities.

It's a witty conference logo, one of the cleverest and most attractive ones I've seen.

The list of speakers at the conference is here:
http://gesalerico.ft.uam.es/strings07/040_scientific07_contents/041_speakers.htm
(thanks to Peter Woit for alerting us to the site!)

The idea of using a blindfolded aristocratic young woman as an emblem of an as yet undiscovered theory (believed to occupy the center of a circle of connected others) is remarkable!

click on individual dancers in the circle to get further information about the conference

a sympathetic view of string thinkers, in fact, could I guess be that they are like men trying to hit something moving with a stick, that something being a theory which they cannot see but believe is there---a groping image similar to what one sees in Goya's painting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
An art historian says this about the painting
==quote==
The Blind Man's Bluff
(La Gallina Ciega)
Painted: 1789.

This is the only finished cartoon of the series painted by Carlos III's commission. Customs and manners subject, and strong French influence applied to Madrid's festivals in an inspired way. The painting shows the melancholy that began to torture the painter.
==endquote==

The dancers and the sunset are very beautiful but some of them stare into the viewer's eyes with a kind of sad emptiness.

I think that Alejandro Rivero, who sometimes posts here, surely knows this painting.

superficially it is pretty and delicate like French---like Watteau. but it is deeper.

It is done in oil on canvas. One calls it a "cartoon" because the painting was not intended as a finished piece of art but was commissioned to be used as a model for TAPESTRY---a kind of blueprint for the weavers.

Last edited:

I find this interpretation of the conference logo to be both clever and thought-provoking. The use of Goya's painting as a representation of M-theory is a creative and fitting choice, as it captures the elusive nature of this theory and the endless pursuit to understand it.

The idea of clicking on individual dancers in the circle to access more information about the conference is also a clever way to engage attendees and highlight the diverse perspectives and expertise that will be present at the event.

Overall, I believe this logo effectively captures the essence of the conference and the complexities of string theory. It serves as a reminder of the constant search for knowledge and the beauty and mystery that lies within the unknown. I look forward to attending the conference and being a part of this intellectual pursuit.

1. What is Blind Man's Buff in Madrid?

Blind Man's Buff in Madrid is a traditional Spanish game, also known as "El juego de la gallina ciega" in Spanish. It is a form of tag where one player is blindfolded and tries to catch the other players.

2. How is Blind Man's Buff played?

To play Blind Man's Buff in Madrid, one player is chosen to be the "blind man" and is blindfolded. The other players scatter around the designated playing area. The "blind man" then tries to find and catch the other players by listening to their movements and using touch. If a player is caught, they become the new "blind man".

3. What are the origins of Blind Man's Buff in Madrid?

It is believed that Blind Man's Buff originated in Spain during the Middle Ages. It was a popular game among the nobles and was often played at royal gatherings and parties. Over time, it became a popular game for children and is still played today.

4. What are the benefits of playing Blind Man's Buff?

Blind Man's Buff in Madrid is not only a fun and entertaining game, but it also has several benefits. It helps to improve listening and tactile skills, as well as teamwork and communication as players must work together to avoid being caught. It also promotes physical activity and can be a great way to socialize and make new friends.

5. Are there any variations of Blind Man's Buff in Madrid?

Yes, there are several variations of Blind Man's Buff in Madrid, depending on the region or group playing. Some variations include using different types of blindfolds, changing the designated "blind man" throughout the game, or adding obstacles for players to navigate. It can also be adapted to different themes or settings, such as playing in a dark room or incorporating music.