Machines pulling an object upwards, find forces

In summary: Therefore, the distance of 5.0 m is not used in calculating the work input.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object being lifted by a pulley system. The initial question is about how to calculate the effort force needed to lift the object, and the conversation progresses to discussing how to account for friction in the calculations of work input and output. The final conclusion is that the work input is the applied effort force multiplied by the length of rope pulled, and the work output is the force applied directly to the object multiplied by the height it is lifted.
Format
Hey guys, I am workin on some stuff dealin with machines at the moment but can't really figure it out. Seems simple but the book just doesn't help.
If you have an object of 1000 N being pulled 5m upwards by a pully, and 20.0m of rope is pulled, then how do you figure out the Effort Force? I thought it was the Resistance force (1000) divided by the distance (5)? Anyone mind helpin me out? Thx :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, i seemed to of figured it out while i was typing lol. Guess i just needed to too see the question better. Thx anywayz! :biggrin:

k sorry for all the posts but In the same question as above, how do you figure out Work Input and Work Output?

Format said:
k sorry for all the posts but In the same question as above, how do you figure out Work Input and Work Output?

They should be equal unless you want to start accounting for friction.

Well part of the question is what force is used to overcome friction if the actual effort is 300 N? But i don't know wut the friction is :confused: .

Format said:
Well part of the question is what force is used to overcome friction if the actual effort is 300 N? But i don't know wut the friction is.
I presume you know the resistance force? And you can figure out the ideal effort force if the machine were frictionless? Actual effort force minus ideal effort force = force needed to overcome friction.

k well this is all i have:

Stan raises a 1000-N piano a distance of 5.00 m using a set of pulleys. Stan pulls in 20.0 m if rope.
a) How much effort does stan apply if this was an adeal machine? - Done
b) What force is used to overcome friction if the actual effort is 300 N ?
c) What is the work output?
d) What is the work input?

Ive tried but can't really get it. Book doesn't help, and i don't have anyone to ask. So any help would be appriciated! Thx

Clue on b

He's lifting an object with the help of a 4:1 mechanical advantage. So the force he himself applies would ideally be 1000 divided by 4, right? So when you've done that division, compare the number you get to 300, and that will tell you how much force is going into overcoming real-world friction.

k figured that out, thx! Still confused with The work input/output however.

Work output = force applied directly to the object (no friction!) times the height it is lifted

Work input = force the person applies to the rope (friction included!) times the length of rope he pulls

Regarding the work input, is the force that Stan applies 300 N? And the length of rope he pulls 20 m?
That works out to be the answer when multiplied. (Win= E x De - displacement). That's what I have from my notes. I get the correct answer but I'm not sure on the concept. How do you know it's the 20 m of rope and not the "distance of 5.00 m?...hmm

PhysHey said:
Regarding the work input, is the force that Stan applies 300 N? And the length of rope he pulls 20 m?
Yes.
How do you know it's the 20 m of rope and not the "distance of 5.00 m?
The work input is the applied effort force times the displacement over which that force acts, which is 20 m. When the object is displaced by a distance of 5.0 m, that displacement is due to a different force--the output force.

1. What is the force required to pull an object upwards?

The force required to pull an object upwards depends on several factors, including the weight of the object, the angle at which it is being pulled, and the presence of any friction or resistance. The force needed can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How does the angle affect the force needed to pull an object upwards?

The angle at which an object is being pulled can greatly affect the force needed. Pulling an object at a steeper angle will require more force to overcome gravity and any resistance, while pulling at a shallower angle will require less force.

3. What is the role of friction in pulling an object upwards?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and can greatly affect the force needed to pull an object upwards. If there is a lot of friction between the object and the surface it is being pulled on, more force will be needed to overcome it and pull the object upwards.

4. How can machines be used to pull objects upwards?

Machines such as pulleys, levers, and ramps can be used to pull objects upwards with less force. These machines allow for the force to be spread out over a larger distance, making it easier to pull the object upwards. Machines can also be powered by engines or motors to provide the necessary force.

5. What are some safety precautions to consider when pulling an object upwards with a machine?

When using a machine to pull an object upwards, it is important to consider the weight and stability of the object, as well as the strength and limitations of the machine. Proper training and safety protocols should also be followed to prevent injury. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspection of the machine is crucial to ensure safe operation.