Extract Caffeine from Coffee Easily & Safely

In summary: The problem is, it is doubtful that JGM has pure ethanoic acid (glacial acetic acid). You can't use vinegar as a substitute because it is way too dilute for the Fischer esterification reaction. You could attempt to make your own glacial acetic acid from by distilling sodium acetate and sulfuric acid, but this is more trouble than it is worth.Also, this is a bit more complicated than it seems. You'll probably only get 80-90% acid with this method and will need to dry it out to get to glacial.Why not just use ethyl acetate from nail polish removers like I already suggested?Assuming you make coffee every day
JGM_14
I found this on the internet and was wondering if there was an easier way to extract the caffeine from coffee because this takes more time and equipment than i care to use is there any way i could do this at room pressure because last time i worked with pressurized stuff a seal broke and it shot hydrogen all over the room (not fun) i don't like setbacks like that especally when you have to scrounge for parts and what not i am on a very tight budget ($9)
I have vinyl tubing, handy stuff to have, and an evaporating dish (glass ovenware). Ineed relatively pure caffeine (90% or purer)
http://www.sweetmarias.com/decaf.co-2method.html"
No rush.
Thanks a bunch

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I was wondering the same thing too, but haven't tried it.

Not sure why I would want to. Just for the fun of it I guess.

I believe ethyl acetate is used for caffeine extraction in the industry. But I think it's for decaffinating cffee and I don't think it will yeild 90% caffeine.

I think ethyl acetate is only slightly soluble in H2O, so you might be able to do a water wash for purification.

Let me know what you find.

Good luck

Jim

P.S. I read your article...100 atmospheres is a little dangerous for home research.

A simple caffeine experiment is performed every day. Use a drip coffeemaker and extract the coffee solution.

"$9?" http://www.shopinprivate.com/nodpilnodoz6.html

jmnew51 said:
P.S. I read your article...100 atmospheres is a little dangerous for home research.
250 atmospheres (read more)

chemisttree said:
A simple caffeine experiment is performed every day. Use a drip coffeemaker and extract the coffee solution.
Assuming you make coffee every day
i need crystalline caffeine

any way i could make ethyl acetate?

ethyl acetate can be synthesized from a simple esterification reaction. all you need is ethanol and ethanoic acid as reagents. Conc. sulphuric acid will be needed as catalyst(a few drops only). and yes, you will have to perform this under reflux while heating the mixture.

Kushal said:
ethyl acetate can be synthesized from a simple esterification reaction. all you need is ethanol and ethanoic acid as reagents. Conc. sulphuric acid will be needed as catalyst(a few drops only). and yes, you will have to perform this under reflux while heating the mixture.

The problem is, it is doubtful that JGM has pure ethanoic acid (glacial acetic acid). You can't use vinegar as a substitute because it is way too dilute for the Fischer esterification reaction. You could attempt to make your own glacial acetic acid from by distilling sodium acetate and sulfuric acid, but this is more trouble than it is worth.

A more accessible route would be to use nail polish removers as your source for ethyl acetate. Check the ingredients as some removers still use acetone.

Also, I believe dichloromethane used to be used for extracting caffeine from coffee but it has been abandoned due to its likely carcinogenicity.

any way of concentrating vinegar?

You can't use vinegar as a substitute because it is way too dilute for the Fischer esterification reaction. You could attempt to make your own glacial acetic acid from by distilling sodium acetate and sulfuric acid, but this is more trouble than it is worth.

Also, this is a bit more complicated than it seems. You'll probably only get 80-90% acid with this method and will need to dry it out to get to glacial.

Why not just use ethyl acetate from nail polish removers like I already suggested?

JGM_14 said:
Assuming you make coffee every day
i need crystalline caffeine

Why are you intending to use coffee then? Coffee only has about 1 to 1.5% caffeine by weight. Tea is much higher...

Why do you need caffeine in crystalline form?

i am doing an experement on willow trees and i want to see if caffiene effects their ability to root without the use of a rooting hormone or speeds it up ect.
the willow tree roots really easily (i have gotten 1/2in long pieces to root, and grow)
the contaminans, like sugars, in coffee may cause rotting, complications, false results, ect
there is this mold that grows really easily on willow branches it is white and fuzzy, by chance would you know what it is called and why it grows on the willow when no other mold will

Maybe you could just buy some caffeine pills and extract the caffeine from them. Or is it required that it be from a natural source?

it isn't required that it be natural but i wanted it to be from a natural source before i tried the commercially sold stuff otherwise this thread wouldn't existhttp://www.unitednuclear.com/chem.htm"

I have a reference describing the extraction of caffeine from tea with chloroform if you're interested.

no not really but anyway, where would i get chloroform (curious)?

Well you could probably easily substitute the procedure using ethyl acetate.

You can't by chloroform anymore. Easiest way is to make it with acetone and bleach.

1. How do you extract caffeine from coffee?

To extract caffeine from coffee, the most common method is to use a solvent, such as ethyl acetate or dichloromethane, to dissolve the caffeine from the coffee beans. The solvent is then removed, leaving behind the caffeine. Another method is to use supercritical carbon dioxide to extract the caffeine. This method is more environmentally friendly but requires specialized equipment.

2. Is it safe to extract caffeine from coffee at home?

While it is possible to extract caffeine from coffee at home, it is not recommended. The solvents used in the extraction process can be dangerous if not handled properly. In addition, the process requires specialized equipment and knowledge, so it is not safe for inexperienced individuals to attempt at home.

3. How much caffeine can be extracted from a cup of coffee?

The amount of caffeine that can be extracted from a cup of coffee depends on several factors, including the type of coffee beans, the brewing method, and the strength of the coffee. On average, a cup of coffee contains between 70-140 mg of caffeine. However, the amount of caffeine extracted during the extraction process may vary.

4. Can the extracted caffeine be reused?

Yes, the extracted caffeine can be reused in other products, such as energy drinks or supplements. However, it is important to note that the extracted caffeine may not be as pure as commercially available caffeine and should not be consumed directly.

5. Are there any alternative methods to extract caffeine from coffee?

Yes, there are alternative methods to extract caffeine from coffee. Some companies use a process called "swiss water decaffeination" which uses water and activated carbon filters to remove caffeine from coffee beans. There are also methods that use steam or hot water to extract caffeine from coffee beans. However, these methods are not as commonly used as solvent extraction methods.

Back