Acceleration of a Charged Particle

In summary, a positively charged particle with a mass of 3.0 X 10 ^-12 kg and a charge of +6.4 X 10^-5 C is moving perpendicular to a 1.5 T magnetic field with a speed of 4.8 X 10^3 m/s. To find the acceleration of the particle, you cannot use the equations given and instead must go back to Newton's Second Law, where the magnetic force is equal to the mass of the particle times its acceleration. A useful relationship to find the magnetic force on a particle moving through a constant magnetic field must be used.
rum2563

Homework Statement

A positively charged particle of mass 3.0 X 10 ^-12 kg and charge +6.4 X 10^-5 C is perpendicular to a 1.5 T magnetic field. If the particle has a speed of 4.8 X 10^3 m/s, the acceleration of the particle...?

Homework Equations

e = kg / r^2
qB = mv / r

The Attempt at a Solution

Given information:
m = 3.0 X 10 ^-12 kg
q = 6.4 X 10^-5 C
B = 1.5 T
v = 4.8 X 10^3 m/s

To find the acceleration, I started reading my book, and I found the equation:
q = mg / e
So if I rewrite this to find "g", it should be like this:
g = qe / m

BUT, I don't know e, so to find e (epsilon), I must first know the radius "r"
r = mv / qB
= (3.0 X 10 ^-12)(4.8 X 10^3) / (6.4 X 10^-5)(1.5)
= 1.5 X 10 ^-4 m

Now, I can find e:
e = kq / r^2
= (9 X 10^9)(6.4 X 10^-5) / (1.5 X 10^-4)^2
= 2.56 X 10^13 N/C

Now, I can find "g"

g = qe / m
= (6.4 X 10^-5)(2.56 X 10^13) / (3.0 X 10 ^-12)
= 5.46 X 10^20 m/s^2

But this is not the correct answer.

The correct answer should be one of the following:
3.4 X 10^-4
2.6 X 10^-20
1.5 X 10^11
1.5 X 10^-4
1.7 X 10^19

Someone please help me. I think there should be another way to do this. Please help me. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The relationships you are using are not correct in this case. The first one is the definition of an electric field (e stands for the electric field). The second is incorrect. "qB" is not a useful quantity. I think the relationship you were thinking of was qE=mv^2/r, which describes circular motion with the electric force as the centripetal force. Either way, it doesn't apply to this problem.

I think the best way to solve this would be to go back to fundamentals. Remember Newton's Second Law:

[tex] \Sigma F = ma[/tex]

You want the find a, you know the mass, m, and the force here is the magnetic force. HINT: Do you know a relationship to find the magnetic force on a particle moving through a constant magnetic field?

I hope this helped. If you need more help, I'll answer as soon as I can.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

I can confirm that your approach to finding the acceleration is correct. However, it seems that there may be an error in your calculations. When finding the radius, the correct calculation should be r = mv / qB = (3.0 X 10 ^-12)(4.8 X 10^3) / (6.4 X 10^-5)(1.5) = 1.5 X 10^-4 m. This small error in the radius may have led to the incorrect value for the acceleration. I suggest redoing the calculations with the correct radius and see if you get the correct answer. Additionally, it may be helpful to check and double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. What is acceleration of a charged particle?

Acceleration of a charged particle refers to the rate at which the velocity of a charged particle changes over time.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a charged particle?

The acceleration of a charged particle is affected by the strength of the electric or magnetic field it is in, the mass of the particle, and the charge of the particle.

3. What is the equation for calculating the acceleration of a charged particle?

The equation for calculating the acceleration of a charged particle is a = qE/m, where a is the acceleration, q is the charge of the particle, E is the strength of the electric field, and m is the mass of the particle.

4. How does the direction of the electric or magnetic field affect the acceleration of a charged particle?

The direction of the electric or magnetic field can affect the direction of the acceleration of a charged particle. If the field is parallel to the particle's velocity, it will not cause a change in the particle's speed, only its direction. If the field is perpendicular to the velocity, it will cause a change in both speed and direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the acceleration of charged particles?

Understanding the acceleration of charged particles is important in fields such as particle physics, where it is used to study subatomic particles and their interactions. It is also essential in fields such as plasma physics and astrophysics, where charged particles play a crucial role in phenomena such as fusion reactions and the behavior of celestial bodies.