DIY Solar Cell Technology - Making it at Home Conditions

In summary: I think it's relatively practical, and with some common-sense, it could be reasonably safe. Emphasis on the common-sense part. If you live near an airport, and have a small yard with lots of close neighbors and flammable trees in the yard, then it probably would not be a good thing to experiment with, except maybe on a table-top scale (which will still teach you a lot of things). If planes and helicopters don't fly over your home, and you have a large back yard or property (preferably), then you should be able to make something maybe 10m x 10m, and produce something like a kW or two.
Raivis
Hello!
I'm very interested in solar cell tehnology. I know that the main material used is crystalline silicon. Is it possible to buy all the materials that are necessary and to make the solar cell at home conditions? I hope that this process is not very complicated and laboratory isn't needed? What this process would include and is there some babyseps in doing it?
I'd be very happy for any kind of information!
Electronics is my hobby, maybe it can help me..

Wishing a nice day,
Raivis

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmmm. Offhand, the silicon fabrication and doping processes that I'm familiar with take a fairly complicated oven and vacuum chamber setup, and use some darned dangerous gasses. There might be some other simpler processes by now for solar cell fabrication, though. Here is some basic background, with links to more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cell

Even if you buy wafers that have already been sawed from ingots, the doping steps still require the vacuum oven and the gasses. Probably not very safe for you or your neighbors. How about making a small-scale heliostat solar tower, and using thermal conversion instead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliostat

Thank you very much!
Do you think I could make heliostat solar tover at home conditions?

Raivis said:
Thank you very much!
Do you think I could make heliostat solar tover at home conditions?

I think it's relatively practical, and with some common-sense, it could be reasonably safe. Emphasis on the common-sense part. If you live near an airport, and have a small yard with lots of close neighbors and flammable trees in the yard, then it probably would not be a good thing to experiment with, except maybe on a table-top scale (which will still teach you a lot of things). If planes and helicopters don't fly over your home, and you have a large back yard or property (preferably), then you should be able to make something maybe 10m x 10m, and produce something like a kW or two.

Quiz Question -- if you built a very efficient heliostat-based solar oven, with 10m x 10m of mirror area, what peak power would you be able to produce?

What materials are needed to make a DIY solar cell?

To make a DIY solar cell, you will need a sheet of copper, a sheet of zinc, a sheet of cardboard, a sheet of clear plastic, table salt, water, and an alligator clip.

What is the process for making a DIY solar cell?

The process for making a DIY solar cell involves cutting the copper and zinc sheets to the same size, attaching them to the cardboard with the alligator clip, making a saltwater solution, and placing the clear plastic on top. The cell can then be connected to a load to test its energy production.

How much energy can a DIY solar cell produce?

The amount of energy produced by a DIY solar cell will vary depending on the size and quality of the materials used, as well as the amount of sunlight it receives. On average, a small DIY solar cell can produce around 0.5 - 1.5 volts of electricity.

What are the benefits of making a DIY solar cell?

Making a DIY solar cell can be a fun and educational project, as well as a cost-effective way to harness solar energy. It also allows for customization and experimentation with different materials and methods.

Are DIY solar cells as efficient as commercially made solar cells?

No, DIY solar cells are not as efficient as commercially made solar cells. They are usually smaller in size and made with less advanced materials and technology. However, they can still be a useful source of renewable energy for small projects or educational purposes.