Max Velocity for a Car over a Speed Bump in Uniform Circular Motion

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a car going over a speed bump and maintaining contact with the road. The question is asking for the maximum speed the car can have without losing contact with the road. The solution involves considering the forces acting on the car and finding the maximum net downward force. It is determined that the only downward force is gravity and the max velocity can be found when it is greater than the centripetal acceleration.
astrokat11
I'm doing problems modeling particles in uniform circular motion and one is about a car going over a speed bump. I figured out the problem, but then it asks "What is the max speed the car can have as it passes this highest point without losing contact with the road?" I'm not sure what this part of the question is asking. Can anyone rephrase it for me or lead me in the right direction? I don't think it's a friction thing since it's not sliding, would this be over coming the maximum radial force?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to maintain contact with the road as the car goes over the bump there must be enough force to provide the needed centripetal acceleration. The faster you go, the greater the centripetal acceleration and thus the greater force required. What forces act on the car as it goes over the bump? What's the maximum net downward force on the car?

Ah, well the only downward force is gravity, so I just need to find the max velocity while mg is greater than the centripetal accel. I think I can figure that out then. Thanks

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving along a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object moving along a curved path. Centrifugal force is a result of inertia, while centripetal acceleration is a result of a force acting towards the center.

4. Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

No, centripetal acceleration cannot be negative. Since it is always directed towards the center of the circle, it has a positive value. However, the direction of the acceleration can change depending on the direction of the velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration include the motion of a satellite around a planet, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, and the circular motion of a car on a curved road.