Calculating Plane Velocity with Wind: 200 km/h Airspeed, 50.0 km/h West Wind

• Thread starter rhxoehwhfh
  • Start date
In summary, when calculating the velocity of a plane with wind, it is important to take into account both the airspeed and the wind speed. In this scenario, the plane has an airspeed of 200 km/h and is flying against a 50.0 km/h west wind. This means that the total velocity of the plane would be 150 km/h, as the west wind would reduce the overall speed of the plane by 50 km/h. This calculation is crucial for pilots to accurately determine flight times and fuel consumption.
rhxoehwhfh
The airspeed of a small plane is 200 km/h. The wind speed is 50.0 k/h from the west. Determine the velocity of the plane relative to ground if the pilot keeps the plane pointing to each of the following directions:
a) [E] b) [W] c) [N] d) [N400E]

I never learned this stuff but it is on my homework, can anyone give me formula to solve this problem please?..

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a problem of vector addition.

The 200 km/h is the magnitude airspeed (speed of plane relative to the air) and the problem gives 4 orientations, which then defines that vector, to which one then adds the velocity of the wind.

Since the wind if from the west, it is moving toward the east, so take E as the + direction, and denote the unit vector as i. For the opposite direction, W, the vector would be -i. Similarly N would be +j or j and S would be -j.

Take part a. The plane if flying E at 200 km/h with respect to the air, and the air is moving E at 50 km/h. Adding the two vectors, one gets 200 i + 50 i = 250 i, so the plane is moving 250 km/h due E.

Now try the others.

See this reference - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/airpw.html

Thankyou very much sir

1. What does "Can someone help me please" mean?

"Can someone help me please" is a phrase commonly used when someone is in need of assistance or support with a task, problem, or situation.

2. Why do people say "Can someone help me please" instead of asking for help directly?

People may use this phrase instead of asking for help directly because they may feel embarrassed, shy, or unsure of who to ask for help. They may also use this phrase as a way to politely request assistance.

3. Is it okay to ask for help by saying "Can someone help me please"?

Yes, it is perfectly okay to ask for help by saying "Can someone help me please". Asking for help is a sign of strength and shows that you are willing to learn and improve. It is important to reach out for help when needed.

4. What are some examples of when someone may say "Can someone help me please"?

People may say "Can someone help me please" in various situations such as when they are struggling with a task at work or school, when they need assistance with a household chore, when they are feeling overwhelmed and need emotional support, or when they are lost and need directions.

5. How can I respond when someone asks "Can someone help me please"?

You can respond by offering your assistance or by asking them what they need help with specifically. You can also provide them with resources or suggestions that may be able to help them. It's important to listen to their request and be understanding and supportive.