Quantum harmonic oscillator problem

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for finding <x> without doing integrals, including the use of recurrence relations for Hermite polynomials and the ladder operator method. The final result is that <x> can be expressed as a superposition of the energy ladder operators, and the correct solution is <x>=0, despite a typo in the book.
natugnaro

Homework Statement

Is there any way to find [tex]<\varphi_{n}(x)|x|\varphi_{m}(x)|>[/tex] (where phi_n(x) , phi_m(x) are eigenfunction of harmonic oscillator) without doing integral ?

Homework Equations

perhaps orthonormality of hermite polynomials ?

[tex]\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}H_{n}(x)H_{m}(x)e^{-x^{2}}dx=\delta_{nm}(Pi)^{1/2}2^{n}n![/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually i need to find <x> from known [tex]\psi(x,t)[/tex].
[tex]<x>=<\psi(x,t)|x|\psi(x,t)|>[/tex]

This gives me a lot of [tex]<\varphi_{n}(x)|x|\varphi_{m}(x)|>[/tex] terms, some of them cancel out (for m=n) ,
but at the end I'm left with three terms thath I have to calculate ([tex]<\varphi_{1}(x)|x|\varphi_{2}(x)>,<\varphi_{2}(x)|x|\varphi_{3}(x)>, <\varphi_{3}(x)|x|\varphi_{1}(x)>[/tex]
and that also looks like a lot of work.

final result is <x>=0

(This is problem from Schaums QM (supplementary prob.))

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a recurrence relation, which is satisfied by the Hermite polynomials

[tex]H_{n+1}(x)=2\,x\,H_{n}(x)-2\,n\,H_{n-1}(x)\Rightarrow x\,H_n=\frac{1}{2}\left(H_{n+1}(x)+2\,n\,H_{n-1}(x)\right)[/tex]

Thus you do not have to do the integrals, i.e.

[tex]\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}H_{1}(x)\,x\,H_{2}(x)e^{-x^{2}}dx=\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}H_{1}(x)\left(\frac{H_{3}(x)+4\,H_{1}(x)}{2}\right)e^{-x^{2}}dx=2\,\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}H_{1}(x)\,H_{1}(x)e^{-x^{2}}dx=4\,\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]

Similar expressions hold for the other integrals.

natugnaro said:
No, I'm not familiar with Ladder operator method.

ok, it is very powerful and it is used very often in QM (more than just about harm osc). Send me a private message and I'll teach you if you want ;)

Thank's Rainbow Child, that is really useful.
Using this recurrence relation for hermite polynomials and [tex]<\varphi_{n}(x)|x|\varphi_{m}(x)>=<\varphi_{m}(x)|x|\varphi_{n}(x)>* [/tex]
I was able to reduce <x> to the form:
[tex]\frac{2}{7}(4\sqrt{\pi}A_{1}A_{2}e^{i\omega t}+4\sqrt{\pi}A_{1}A_{2}e^{-i\omega t}+24\sqrt{\pi}A_{2}A_{3}e^{-i\omega t}+24\sqrt{\pi}A_{2}A_{3}e^{i\omega t})[/tex]
Where An's are normalization constants, but I don't see how this leads to <x>=0 ?
Even if I expand, just Sin(wt) terms will cancel out, but not Cos(wt).
(It is problem 5.15 from Schaum's QM)

Last edited:
\pi and \cdot

if you want to learn real QM, try ladder operators (A)

malawi_glenn said:
\pi and \cdot

I'll keep that in mind.

if you want to learn real QM, try ladder operators (A)

If I don't solve the problem this way, I'll send you a message again.

natugnaro said:
Thank's Rainbow Child, that is really useful.
Using this recurrence relation for hermite polynomials and [tex]<\varphi_{n}(x)|x|\varphi_{m}(x)>=<\varphi_{m}(x)|x|\varphi_{n}(x)>* [/tex]
I was able to reduce <x> to the form:
[tex]\frac{2}{7}(4\sqrt{\pi}A_{1}A_{2}e^{i\omega t}+4\sqrt{\pi}A_{1}A_{2}e^{-i\omega t}+24\sqrt{\pi}A_{2}A_{3}e^{-i\omega t}+24\sqrt{\pi}A_{2}A_{3}e^{i\omega t})[/tex]
Where An's are normalization constants, but I don't see how this leads to <x>=0 ?
Even if I expand, just Sin(wt) terms will cancel out, but not Cos(wt).
(It is problem 5.15 from Schaum's QM)

Your answer is correct (up to constants, I didn't carried out the whole calculations). The only case where [itex]<x>=0[/itex] would be if we had eigenfunctions of harmonic oscillator of the form

[tex]\varphi_{n}(x),\varphi_{m}(x)[/tex]

with [tex]n\neq m\pm 1[/tex]

Only in this case the integrals

[tex]\int_{-\infy}^{+\infty}H_n(x)\,x\,H_m(x)\,e^{-x^2}\,d\,x=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}H_n(x)\frac{1}{2}\left(H_{m+1}(x)+2\,m\,H_{m-1}(x)\right)\,d\,x=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}H_n(x)H_{m+1}(x)\,d\,x+m\,\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}H_n(x)\,H_{m-1}(x)\,d\,x[/tex]

would vanish. Thus there must be a typo error in the book! :smile:

I didn't get the constants right up there.
I did the thing again and find

[tex]<x>=\frac{2(2+\sqrt{3})}{7}Cos(\omega t)\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{m\omega}}[/tex]

At last I've tried also ladder operators (thanks malawi_glenn).
[tex]x=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}(a+a^{+})[/tex]

then using
[tex]a|k>=\sqrt{k}|k-1>[/tex]
[tex]a^{+}|k>=\sqrt{k+1}|k+1>[/tex]

arrive at
[tex]<n|x|k>=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}(\sqrt{k}<n|k-1>+\sqrt{k+1}<n|k+1>)[/tex]
where n and k are eigenfunctions of H.O.
From here it's easy, I just use the dot product.
There is a solved problem in Schaums QM for this.

I got the same result for <x> using ladder op. ,that's nice :smile:.
Ok, I'm going to mark this thread as solved even though the solution in the book is <x>=0.

how about this: ?

[tex]a|n>=\sqrt{n}|n-1>[/tex]
[tex]a^{\agger}|n>=\sqrt{n+1}|n+1>[/tex]

[tex]<n|x|n> =\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}(\sqrt{n}<n|n-1>+\sqrt{n+1}<n|n+1>) = 0[/tex]

Last edited:
malawi_glenn said:
how about this: ?

[tex]a|n>=\sqrt{n}|n-1>[/tex]
[tex]a^{\agger}|n>=\sqrt{n+1}|n+1>[/tex]

[tex]<n|x|n> =\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}(\sqrt{n}<n|n-1>+\sqrt{n+1}<n|n+1>) = 0[/tex]

Ok, but I have <1|x|2> and <2|x|3>, so I can't have zero, right ?

natugnaro said:
Ok, but I have <1|x|2> and <2|x|3>, so I can't have zero, right ?

no of course not, but the case <n|x|n> = <x> = 0, I thought you said that you did not understand why you did not get it.

The thing you have: <n|x|k> is correct, just plug in your values for n and k and you will get the correct answer.

malawi_glenn said:
no of course not, but the case <n|x|n> = <x> = 0, I thought you said that you did not understand why you did not get it.

The thing you have: <n|x|k> is correct, just plug in your values for n and k and you will get the correct answer.

Ok, no problem .
As Rainbow Child said "Thus there must be a typo error in the book!" :smile:

natugnaro said:
Ok, no problem .
As Rainbow Child said "Thus there must be a typo error in the book!" :smile:

ok, but <x> always refer to be taken between same two states.

So your tasks was to calculate:

<x> and <1|x|2> and <2|x|3> ?

What does your book give for answers?

Here is the text from the book:
The wave function of a harmonic oscillator at time t=0 is
[tex]\psi(x,0)=\sqrt{2}A\phi_{1}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}A\phi_{2}+A\phi_{3}[/tex]
Where phi_n is stationary eigenfunction of the harmonic oscillator for the nth state,
and A is normalization constant.
a) compute A.
b) find psi(x,t) for all values of t.
c) calculate the average values of <E> at times t=0, t=Pi/w, t=2Pi/w.
d) find expectation values <x> and <p> for t>=0.

a) done that , got result as in the book
b) done that, got result as in the book
c) skipped that
d) calculated just <x>, <x>=2(2+sqrt(3))/7 * sqrt(h/(2Pi*mw))*Cos(wt)

Solutions from the book:
a) [tex]A=\sqrt{2/7}[/tex]

b) [tex]\psi(x,t)=\sqrt{2/7}(\sqrt{2}\phi_{1}e^{\frac{-3i \omega t}{2}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\phi_{2}e^{\frac{-5i \omega t}{2}}+\phi_{3}e^{\frac{-7i \omega t}{2}})[/tex]

d) <x>=0 , <p>=0

Great, always post the original question in the first post so no confusion aries :)

You now also know how to write p as a combination of a and a(dagger).

shall see if can get the right values for <x>

malawi_glenn said:
Great, always post the original question in the first post so no confusion aries :)

Yes, I should have done that :redface:

1. What is a quantum harmonic oscillator?

A quantum harmonic oscillator is a system in quantum mechanics that models the behavior of a particle that is subject to a restoring force proportional to its displacement from equilibrium position. It is one of the most fundamental and widely studied systems in quantum mechanics.

2. What is the significance of the quantum harmonic oscillator problem?

The quantum harmonic oscillator problem is significant because it is a simple yet powerful model that helps us understand the behavior of quantum systems. It also has many real-world applications, such as in the study of molecular vibrations, electronic transitions, and energy states of atoms and molecules.

3. What is the Hamiltonian for a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The Hamiltonian for a quantum harmonic oscillator is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of the system. It is given by H = p^2/2m + 1/2mω^2x^2, where p is the momentum operator, m is the mass of the particle, and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator.

4. What is the ground state energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The ground state energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator is the lowest possible energy that the system can have. It is equal to ħω/2, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator. This energy level corresponds to the lowest energy eigenstate of the oscillator.

5. How is the quantum harmonic oscillator problem solved?

The quantum harmonic oscillator problem is solved using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. By solving this equation, we can obtain the energy eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the system, which provide us with a complete description of the quantum harmonic oscillator.