Electric Field Vector for point charge

In summary, the problem involves calculating the electric fields E1 and E2 at point P due to charges q1 and q2, respectively. Using the equations r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2), hat{r} = (xhat{i} + yhat{j})/r, and E = kq/r^2, the values of E1 and E2 are found to be 0hat{i} - 2.81e4hat{j} and 6.47e2hat{i} + 8.62e2hat{j}, respectively. However, the correctness of these answers is questioned as they do not match the expected results.
hteezy
b]1. Homework Statement [/b]

Point charge q1= -5.00 is at the origin and point charge q2= +3.00 is on the -x axis at x= 3.00 cm. Point P is on the y-axis at y= 4.00 cm .

Calculate the electric fields E1 and E2 at point P due to the charges q1 and q2. Express your results in terms of unit vectors (see example 21.6 in the textbook).

Express your answer in terms of the unit vectors [tex]\hat{i}[/tex] , [tex]\hat{j}[/tex]. E

Homework Equations

r = [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{r}[/tex] = ([tex]\vec{r}[/tex]/r =x[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] + y[tex]\hat{j}[/tex]) / r
[tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = k * q/r^2 8 [tex]\hat{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So E1 will be the vector from q1 to point P
r = [tex]\sqrt{0^2 + .04^2}[/tex] = .04 m

[tex]\hat{r}[/tex] = (0[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] + .04[tex]\hat{j}[/tex])/.04 = 0[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] + 1[tex]\hat{j}[/tex]

E1 = (8.98 e 9) * (-5.00 e -9) / .04^2 (0[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] + 1[tex]\hat{j}[/tex])
= 0[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] - 2.81 e 4[tex]\hat{j}[/tex]

i did the exact same steps to find E2 and
E2 = 6.47 e 2[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] + 8.62 e 2[tex]\hat{j}[/tex]

am i doing something wrong accordin to the steps i used because my answers are wrong. and i even followed the way the steps were in the book.
i don't get it :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
hteezy said:
. . .
am i doing something wrong accordin to the steps i used because my answers are wrong. and i even followed the way the steps were in the book.
i don't get it :confused:
First of all, the LaTeX coding is all scrambled with plain text.

Here's a somewhat repaired version of what was posted:

Homework Statement
Point charge q1= -5.00 is at the origin and point charge q2= +3.00 is on the x-axis at x= 3.00 cm. Point P is on the y-axis at y= 4.00 cm .

Calculate the electric fields E1 and E2 at point P due to the charges q1 and q2. Express your results in terms of unit vectors (see example 21.6 in the textbook).

Express your answer in terms of the unit vectors ##\hat{\imath} , ~\hat{\jmath}##.

E

Homework Equations

##\displaystyle r =\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 ~}##

## \displaystyle \hat{r} = \frac{\vec{r} } {r} =\frac{(x\,\hat{\imath}+ y\,\hat{\jmath})} {r} ##

## \displaystyle\vec{E} = k \frac {q}{r^2} ~ \hat{r} ##

Attempt at a Solution

So E1 will be the vector from q1 to point P
##r = \sqrt{0^2 + .04^2 ~} = .04## m

##\displaystyle \hat{r} = \frac{(0\,\hat{\imath}+ .04\hat{\jmath})}{.04} = 0\hat{\imath} + 1\hat{\jmath}##

##\displaystyle \vec{E}_1= (8.98 \text{ e 9}) \frac{ -5.00 \text{ e -9}} {.04^2} (0~\hat{\imath} + 1~\hat{\jmath})##
[tex] = 0~\hat{\imath} - 2.81 \text{ e 4}~\hat{\jmath}[/tex]
i did the exact same steps to find E2 and

E2 = ## 6.47 e 2 ~\hat{\imath} + 8.62 e 2~\hat{\jmath} ##

am i doing something wrong according to the steps i used because my answers are wrong. and I even followed the way the steps were in the book.
I don't get it. :confused:

Last edited:

1. What is an electric field vector for a point charge?

An electric field vector for a point charge is a mathematical representation of the electric field that surrounds a single point charge. It describes the direction and strength of the electric field at any given point in space around the charge.

2. How is the direction of the electric field vector determined?

The direction of the electric field vector is determined by the direction of the electric force that a positive test charge would experience if placed in the electric field. It is always directed away from a positive point charge and towards a negative point charge.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field vector for a point charge?

The strength of the electric field vector for a point charge depends on the magnitude of the charge, the distance from the point charge, and the surrounding medium's electric permittivity. The electric field strength is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point charge.

4. How is the electric field vector calculated?

The electric field vector is calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

5. Can the electric field vector for a point charge be negative?

Yes, the electric field vector for a point charge can be negative if the point charge is negative. In this case, the electric field vector will be directed towards the point charge instead of away from it. However, the magnitude of the electric field vector will still be positive.