Which US universities offer top AMO programs for graduate studies?

In summary, the speaker plans to finish their physics courses this semester and then apply for graduate schools. They are interested in switching to a double major in math and physics and taking grad/math courses locally while applying. Their top choice for graduate school is the University of Colorado at Boulder due to their interest in atomic, molecular, and optical (AMO) programs. They also mention other universities such as Harvard, MIT, University of Maryland at College Park, and Rice University for their AMO research. They advise considering the professors at a school rather than just the school itself when applying for a PhD program.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
I finish my physics courses this semester. Then I will begin applying for graduate schools, and probably switch to a double major (math + physics), and take grad/math courses locally while I apply.

I'm pretty sure my #1 preferred school is Boulder Colorado's university (because of my interest in AMO)

Does anyone have input on other good AMO (atomic, molecular, optical) programs US-wide? I'm somewhat interested in Bose-Einstein Condensates, but I don't want to confine myself too much.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I think of AMO, universities that come to mind (besides University of Colorado at Boulder, which you've already mentioned) include Harvard, MIT, and University of Maryland at College Park (which might seem out of place on this list at first glance, but not when you consider its proximity to NIST).

Hulet's group at Rice (http://atomcool.rice.edu/) looks pretty good.

My two cents: don't think "what school do I want to research at", think "what professor do I want to get my PhD with". If there's a school with 2-4 profs that look like you'd want to work with them, apply there.

Stanford too

1. What courses should I take to prepare for AMO grad school?

The specific courses you should take may vary depending on your specific research interests and the requirements of the graduate program you are applying to. Generally, it is recommended to take courses in quantum mechanics, electromagnetic theory, and atomic and molecular physics. It may also be beneficial to take courses in computer programming, statistics, and optics.

2. What research experience should I have before applying to AMO grad school?

Research experience is highly valued in AMO graduate programs. It is recommended to gain research experience through internships, independent research projects, or working in a lab during your undergraduate studies. This will not only strengthen your application, but also give you a better understanding of the research field and help you determine your research interests.

3. How important are standardized test scores for AMO grad school admissions?

Standardized test scores, such as the GRE, are often required for AMO graduate programs. While they are not the only factor considered in admissions, they are still an important component. It is recommended to study and prepare for these tests to achieve a competitive score.

4. What should my personal statement for AMO grad school include?

Your personal statement should showcase your passion for the field of AMO research and highlight your relevant experiences and skills. It should also discuss your research interests and goals, and how the graduate program aligns with them. Be sure to proofread and have someone else review your statement before submitting.

5. What can I do to stand out in my AMO grad school application?

In addition to strong academic performance, research experience, and a well-crafted personal statement, you can stand out in your application by showcasing any additional skills or experiences that make you unique. This could include leadership roles, community service, or specific technical skills. Additionally, reaching out to and connecting with potential advisors or current graduate students in the program can also make you stand out and demonstrate your interest in the program.