Energy stored in a RLC circuit

In summary, the problem involves a 21.0 \mu F capacitor charged by a 160.0-{\rm V} power supply, then connected in series with a 0.220-{\rm mH} inductor. The energy stored in the capacitor at t=0{\rm{ms}} is calculated using the charge and voltage values. The energy stored in the inductor at t=1.30 ms is calculated using the inductor's voltage and current equations.
danbone87

Homework Statement

A 21.0 \mu F capacitor is charged by a 160.0-{\rm V} power supply, then disconnected from the power and connected in series with a 0.220-{\rm mH} inductor.

Calculate the energy stored in the capacitor at time t = 0{\rm{ ms}} (the moment of connection with the inductor).

Calculate the energy stored in the inductor at t = 1.30 ms.

Homework Equations

i=-omegaQsin(omega*t)

and U=.5LI^2

I need to either find charge q or a resistance value to find I with and I'm stuck..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi danbone87,

danbone87 said:
A 21.0 \mu F capacitor is charged by a 160.0-{\rm V} power supply,

The way the capacitor is initially connected by itself to the battery will give you its initaial Q value.

danbone87 said:
I need to either find charge q or a resistance value to find I with and I'm stuck..

If I'm reading the problem correctly, there is no resistor; just a capacitor connected to an inductor.

A 21.0 \mu F capacitor is charged by a 160.0-{\rm V} power supply, then disconnected from the power and connected in series with a 0.220-{\rm mH} inductor.

Calculate the energy stored in the capacitor at time t = 0{\rm{ ms}} (the moment of connection with the inductor).

Calculate the energy stored in the inductor at t = 1.30 ms.ans= q=cv=22u*160m gives u charge
energy=.5*22u*160m*160m=1/2(c*v*v)
now
VL=Ldi/dt

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These three components interact with each other to store and transfer energy.

2. How is energy stored in an RLC circuit?

Energy is stored in an RLC circuit through the inductor and capacitor. When current flows through the circuit, the inductor stores energy in its magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in its electric field. This stored energy is then released back into the circuit when the current changes direction.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in an RLC circuit?

The amount of energy stored in an RLC circuit depends on the values of the inductance, capacitance, and resistance. Higher inductance and capacitance values will result in more energy being stored, while higher resistance will result in less energy being stored.

4. How does the frequency of the current affect the energy stored in an RLC circuit?

The frequency of the current affects the energy stored in an RLC circuit because it determines how quickly the current changes direction. At the resonant frequency, the inductor and capacitor will store the maximum amount of energy, while at other frequencies, some of the energy will be dissipated as heat in the resistor.

5. Can energy be lost in an RLC circuit?

Yes, some energy can be lost in an RLC circuit due to resistance in the components and other external factors. This lost energy is usually in the form of heat and can affect the overall efficiency of the circuit.