Bivariate poisson - probability

In summary, bivariate poisson probability is a statistical concept used to calculate the probability of observing a specific number of events occurring at the same time or in the same area. It takes into account the correlation between two random variables and is commonly used in fields such as finance, insurance, and sports analytics. The main difference between bivariate poisson probability and regular poisson probability is that the former considers the correlation between two variables, while the latter assumes independence between the variables. The main assumptions of bivariate poisson probability are that the two variables are correlated, have a poisson distribution, and that the correlation does not change over time. To calculate bivariate poisson probability, the correlation between the two variables is first estimated and then a b
Milky

Homework Statement

Let {Mi(t), t >= 0 }, i=1, 2 be independent Poisson processes with respective rates λi, i=1, 2, and set

N1(t) = M1(t) + M2(t), N2(t) = M2(t) + M3(t)

The stochastic process {(N1(t), N2(t)), t >= 0} is called a bivariate Poisson process.
(a) Find P{N1(t) = n, N2(t) = m}
(b) Find Cov (N1(t), N2(t))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to solve this problem as follows:
(a)
P{M1(t) +M2(t) = n, M2(t) +M3(t) = m} = P{M1(t) +M2(t) = n | M2(t) +M3(t) = m} / P{ M2(t) +M3(t) = m}
which then equals by independence of M1(t) +M2(t), M2(t) + M3(t)
= P{M1(t) +M2(t) = n}P{M2(t) +M3(t) = m} / P{ M2(t) +M3(t) = m}

Now, are they independent? Or is my assumption wrong here? I'm starting to think I should condition on the value of M2(t) here, but conditioning on one of 2 variables is starting to confuse me!

AND

(b) By using the fact that:

Cov (X, Y) = E[XY] - E[X]E[Y]

(substituting in for N1(t) and N2(t))

Cov (N1(t), N2(t)) = E[N1(t)N2(t)] - E[N1(t)]E[N2(t)]

and I can get:
E[N1(t)] = E[M1(t) + M2(t)] = E[M1(t)] + E[M2(t)] = (λ1t) + (λ2t)
E[N2(t)] = E[M2(t) + M3(t)] = E[M2(t)] + E[M3(t)] = (λ2t) + (λ3t)

Is my following assumption correct?
E[N1(t)] N2(t)] = E[{M1(t) + M2(t)}{M2(t) + M3(t)}]
= E[M1(t)M2(t) + M2(t)M2(t) + M1(t)M3(t) + M2(t)M3(t)]
= E[M1(t)]E[M2(t)] + E[M2(t)]E[M2(t)] + E[M1(t)]E[M3(t)] + E[M2(t)]E[M3(t)]
= (λ1t)(λ2t) + (λ2t)(λ2t) + (λ1t)(λ3t) + (λ2t)(λ3t)

which would give me the Covariance? Or should I solve this by using the Conditional Covariance formula? I am assumming that M1(t), M2(t), and M3(t) are all independent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is my reasoning correct?

Your approach to part (a) is correct. By independence, you can rewrite the joint probability as the product of the individual probabilities. However, you may want to consider conditioning on the value of M2(t) in order to simplify the calculation. This is because M2(t) appears in both N1(t) and N2(t), and conditioning on it will remove it from the probabilities.

For part (b), your approach is also correct. You can use the formula for covariance and then substitute in the expected values of N1(t) and N2(t) that you have calculated. Your reasoning is also correct, as long as you assume that M1(t), M2(t), and M3(t) are independent. Your final expression for the covariance looks correct to me.

Keep up the good work!

1. What is bivariate poisson probability?

Bivariate poisson probability is a statistical concept used to calculate the probability of observing a specific number of events occurring at the same time or in the same area. It takes into account the correlation between two random variables and is commonly used in fields such as finance, insurance, and sports analytics.

2. How is bivariate poisson probability different from regular poisson probability?

The main difference between bivariate poisson probability and regular poisson probability is that the former considers the correlation between two variables, while the latter assumes independence between the variables. Bivariate poisson probability also allows for the calculation of the joint probability of observing a specific number of events for both variables, whereas regular poisson probability only calculates the probability for one variable.

3. What are the assumptions of bivariate poisson probability?

The main assumptions of bivariate poisson probability are that the two variables are correlated, have a poisson distribution, and that the correlation does not change over time. Additionally, the variables should be discrete and the events should be independent of each other.

4. How is bivariate poisson probability calculated?

To calculate bivariate poisson probability, the correlation between the two variables is first estimated. Then, the joint probability of observing a specific number of events for both variables is calculated using a bivariate poisson distribution formula. This involves multiplying the individual probabilities for each variable and adjusting for the correlation between them.

5. When is bivariate poisson probability commonly used?

Bivariate poisson probability is commonly used in situations where there is a need to analyze the probability of multiple events occurring simultaneously or in the same area. This includes areas such as insurance, finance, sports analytics, and public health. It can also be used in data analysis to model the relationship between two variables and make predictions about future events.