Resolving pixels on a computer screen

In summary, the conversation discusses using Rayleigh's criterion to solve for the effective pupil diameter in a computer screen, as well as determining the distance at which two pixels on diagonally opposite corners can no longer be resolved. The conversation also includes some confusion and mistakes in solving the problems, but ultimately reaches the correct solutions.
fubag
[SOLVED] Resolving pixels on a computer screen

Homework Statement

A standard 14.16-inch (0.360-meter) computer monitor is 1024 pixels wide and 768 pixels tall. Each pixel is a square approximately 281 micrometers on each side. Up close, you can see the individual pixels, but from a distance they appear to blend together and form the image on the screen.

If the maximum distance between the screen and your eyes at which you can just barely resolve two adjacent pixels is 1.30 meters, what is the effective diameter d of your pupil? Assume that the resolvability is diffraction-limited. Furthermore, use lambda = 550 nanometers as a characteristic optical wavelength.

Homework Equations

I used Rayleigh's criterion which states (theta_minimum) = (lambda/a), where a is the width of the slit.

Then (theta_min) = (1.22(lambda))/D, where D is the aperture diameter.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using "a" as 281 micrometers, i tried solving and got D = .34mm which doesn't seem right nor work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fubag,

Your first expression (theta_minimum) = (lambda/a) is Rayleigh's criterion for a slit; your second expression is the same thing for a circular aperture.

Since your pupil is circular all you need to use is the circular aperture expression (theta_min) = (1.22(lambda))/D. Here theta_min is the angle that two adjacent pixels make in your field of view when you're a distance 1.3 meters away.

ok so I used theta_min = atan(281micrometers/1.3m) and solve for D?

This gave me D = 3.10 mm.

Is this correct?

ok I got that part

Part 2:

Assuming that the screen is sufficiently bright, at what distance can you no longer resolve two pixels on diagonally opposite corners of the screen, so that the entire screen looks like a single spot? Note that the size (0.360 meters) quoted for a monitor is the length of the diagonal.

do i take theta to be really really small and use D = 3.1mm to find that theta, or use the .360 meters as a part of atan for finding theta?

ok still stuck on this one...

I understand I am using Rayleigh's criterion formula where (theta_min) = lamda / a . So I think I have to take a = .36m, since it is now the width of the slit or something.

and using the properties that tan (a) = opposite/adjacent, i want to solve for opposite which will give me the distance, using adjacent as what though? this is bothering me.

fubag said:
ok still stuck on this one...

I understand I am using Rayleigh's criterion formula where (theta_min) = lamda / a . So I think I have to take a = .36m, since it is now the width of the slit or something.

and using the properties that tan (a) = opposite/adjacent, i want to solve for opposite which will give me the distance, using adjacent as what though? this is bothering me.

It looks to me like this is really the same type of problem as part a; just the distance between the pixels has changed. The diffraction would still be due to the pupil of the eye, so you'll need to use the circular version of Rayleigh's criterion formula.

ok so I find (theta_min) = (550 * 10^-9) / (.36m), using a as distance between the two points.

then solve for D = (1.22(550 * 10^-9)) / (theta_min) ?

This gives me .44m which makes no sense.

ok i actually solved it now

found my mistake

thanks!

You already know the diameter of the pupil D; it won't change. What you are looking for is L, the length from you to the screen. That means you also know theta_min.

What's the relationship between theta_min, the ditance to the screen, and the distance between the pixels?

fubag said:
ok i actually solved it now

found my mistake

thanks!

i don't get it... how'd you solve for the distance ? arctan doesn't work ..

yeah i keep getting thetamin = 0.36/L
and answer 2029. what am I doing wrong?

What is the value of thetamin (use the information in the problem statement)?

i got theta min is 1.774 x 10^-4 from 550x10-9/3.1mm I believe. What's my mistake?

would the theta min from 1.22 x 550 x 10-9 / 3.1mm be the right theta min then? I wuold get L=1660m for this theta min?

yep, the right answer from the machine said the 1.22 x 550 x 10-9/3.1 one was correct? Thanks!

minidee said:
would the theta min from 1.22 x 550 x 10-9 / 3.1mm be the right theta min then? I wuold get L=1660m for this theta min?
Looks good.

minidee said:
... Thanks!
You're welcome :smile:

What causes pixelation on a computer screen?

Pixelation on a computer screen is caused by a lack of resolution, meaning there are not enough pixels to display the image clearly. This can happen when the image is enlarged beyond its original size or when the resolution of the image is low.

How can I fix pixelation on my computer screen?

To fix pixelation on a computer screen, you can try adjusting the resolution of your screen. If you are viewing an image, try zooming in or out to see if that improves the quality. Additionally, using a higher quality image can also help reduce pixelation.

Why do some images appear clearer than others on my computer screen?

The clarity of an image on a computer screen depends on its resolution. Images with higher resolutions will appear clearer because they have more pixels to display the image. Low resolution images will appear more pixelated because there are fewer pixels to display the image.

Can I prevent pixelation on my computer screen?

To prevent pixelation on your computer screen, it is important to use high resolution images and to avoid enlarging images beyond their original size. You can also adjust the resolution of your screen to match the resolution of the image you are viewing.

How does pixelation affect the overall quality of an image?

Pixelation can greatly affect the overall quality of an image, making it appear blurry or distorted. It can also make it difficult to see fine details in the image. Using high resolution images and avoiding enlarging them can help maintain the quality of the image.