How to Solve a Trigonometry Exam Problem with tan(5x) = tan(3x)

In summary, the problem is that the period of tan(x) is actually pi, but x must be a multiple of pi for tan(x) to be undefined.
Petkovsky
I'm preparing for an entrance exam and i have this problem that is puzzling me.

tan(5x) = tan(3x)

I suppose i should start off by:

sin(5x)/cos(5x) = sin(3x)/cos(3x)

but i don't know what method to use.

Should i break everything down to a single x? Please give me a hint how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Petkovsky said:
Should i break everything down to a single x? Please give me a hint how to start.
Sounds like a good idea to me.

explore this approach:

tan(4x + x) = tan(4x - x)

Use the identity 2sin(a)cos(b) = sin(a+b) + sin(a-b).

*edit* Or, rather, derive an identity for tan(a) - tan(b) using algebra and knowledge of sin addition/subtraction formulas.

Last edited:
Ok i solved it and i received something but I'm not sure if it is correct. May i post it here so you can check it if it's not too much trouble?

What do you have? If my calculations are right, there should only be one value of x that satisfies the equation.

I ended up with the quadratic equation:

tan^2(4x)*tanx + tanx = 0

tanx(tan^2(4x) + 1) = 0

From here

tanx = 0 // x = 0
and
tan^2(4x) = -1 //Not possible

Last edited:
Actually, sorry zero is not the only value, I made a logic error. Multiples of 2pi should be the answer. Why?

Yes because the period of tan(x) function is 2pi.

Petkovsky said:
Yes because the period of tan(x) function is 2pi.

Warning. The period of tan(x) is actually pi.

So the solution is n*pi ?

OK thank you.

Hmm, sorry I meant multiples of pi, I solved it a different way and didn't check my answers thoroughly :-\.

tan(a)-tan(b) = sin(a-b) / cos(a)*cos(b), we arrive at the equation

sin(2x) / cos(3x)*cos(2x) = 0.

sin(2x) = 0 when x = k(pi) and x = (2k+1)*pi/2 for all integers k. But tan(x) is undefined for the latter set of solutions, so x must be a multiple of pi.

May i post another problem here or should i open a new thread?

Petkovsky said:
So the solution is n*pi ?

Well, if tan(a)=tan(b) then a-b=n*pi for some integer n, because the period of tan is pi and tan assumes every value only once in it's period. Can you apply that to your problem?

Petkovsky said:
May i post another problem here or should i open a new thread?

It's up to you. But new threads attract more attention than old threads.

Ok tnx for the tip and for all of your help about this problem :)

1. What is trigonometry and what is it used for?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is primarily used in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation to solve problems involving triangles and angles.

2. What types of problems are typically found on a trigonometry exam?

A trigonometry exam may include problems such as finding missing sides or angles of a triangle, solving trigonometric equations, and using trigonometric identities to simplify expressions.

3. How can I prepare for a trigonometry exam?

To prepare for a trigonometry exam, it is important to review concepts such as trigonometric functions, identities, and basic trigonometric equations. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of problems and familiarize yourself with common trigonometry formulas.

4. What are some common mistakes students make when solving trigonometry problems?

Some common mistakes students make when solving trigonometry problems include using the wrong formula, forgetting to convert between degrees and radians, and misinterpreting the given information. It is important to double check your work and pay attention to the details when solving trigonometry problems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry?

To improve your understanding of trigonometry, it is important to practice regularly, seek help from a teacher or tutor when needed, and make connections between trigonometry and real-life applications. It can also be helpful to study different problem-solving strategies and techniques.