Complex Analysis material question

In summary: It should be located at the top left corner of the subforum page, above the list of existing topics. If you still cannot find it, try refreshing the page or using a different internet browser.
jimmypoopins
I'm an undergraduate studying mathematics. I did really well in differential equations and abstract algebra, but struggled with our course "Analysis I."

I'm taking complex analysis next spring (here's a description of the course, but I'm sure it's not much different than any other complex analysis course http://www.reg.msu.edu/Courses/Request.asp?SubjectCode=MTH&CourseNumber=425&Source=SB&Term=1086").

I want to get a head start on the material so that i don't struggle with it as badly as i did with my first analysis course. I'm absolutely fascinated by complex numbers so hopefully this run will be better.

Can anyone suggest a text for me to pick up so that i can get a good head start? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try Tristan Needham's "Visual Complex Analysis".

dx said:

Agreed.

I own this book and it's a very "involved" way of learning stuff in Complex Analysis.

The way it is presented as well as the diagrams give the reader a much better understanding of what's being talked about.

I also recommend picking this book up.

thanks i'll check it out :)

Try "Basic Complex Analysis" by Marsden and Hoffman. Their exposition is exceptionally clear and suitable for someone in self-study since they make extra effort to write out all the steps in their proofs so you don't have to do much "filling in the blanks" like you do in Rudin for example.

A nice concise book is Introduction to Advanced Complex Calculus by Kenneth S. Miller (though I'm not sure how much of "harmonic functions" would be covered in this book).

We used Complex analysis by Saff & Snider, very good.

Wow, it seems like everyone is suggested a different "good" Complex Analysis book. I had no idea there were so many. How is the OP going to decide? Does anyone know of a complex analysis book that they don't like?

ehrenfest said:
Wow, it seems like everyone is suggested a different "good" Complex Analysis book. I had no idea there were so many. How is the OP going to decide? Does anyone know of a complex analysis book that they don't like?
Complex Analysis is one of the most developed areas of mathematics. It is also one of the ones with the most applications to other areas. There a lots and lots of books. I myself have used at least 25 different complex analysis books (my research area is complex analysis in several variables otherwise known as "Several Complex Variables"). Because many different groups within mathematics and outside of mathematics need to learn complex analysis pickup up just any complex analysis book might not be the best option. Also books vary in the amount of knowledge they assume and who the audience is.

I have seen some books that I myself don't like (Saff & Snider is one), even some of the most widely recommended books I don't like and its not the authors fault. For example, I did not like Ahlfors' treatment because there was certain knowledge that he did not assume and I already had. I'm sure those chapter were useful for some people, but not for me, and I could just find another book that was apropriatie (which is the good thing of there being lots of books on complex analysis.

At my school many people don;t like the book used for undergrad compelx analysis (one by Ted Gamelin), the problem with that class and book combination is that the class is called "Complex Analysis for Applications" and the book has essentially nothing about the (non-math) applications in it. Also although the book is theoretical it is not the most complete (you have to fill in many steps). I for one loved this book but like I said I know many other people don't.

What I suggest, if it is possible, is to go to the section of your math (or science) where the complex analysis books are and check out a lot of them. You never know what book you might find that you like but no one ever talks about or recommends. This is also, in my opinion, the best way to pick a book when there are so many to choose from.

Edit: Let me add that Needham's book is pretty good for getting intuition but you would need to supplement it with a book that focuses on theory.

dx said:

I second that, good book for a preview of complex analysis. Another good one is Fisher's Complex Variables.

I was recommended the "Fundamentals of Complex Analysis: With applications to engineering and science (third edition)" by E.B. Saff / A.D. Snider. It has plenty of exercises, many of which lead you -- the reader -- to make conclusions for yourself. I'm very pleased with my purchase, though to be honest it's the only book I own on the subject, so I can't really be a good judge.

ehrenfest said:

my main intention after reading a few replies was to buy "Visual Complex Analysis" because it was recommend by three people.. unfortunately it seems to be roughly $50ish no matter where i search so it'll take a week or so until i can afford it.

thanks for the replies. hopefully this'll help :)

can anyone of you explain how to post a new quesion to the forum.i am new to this.

Go to the subforum that best describes your question (you can find the list at https://www.physicsforums.com/) and click on the "New Topic" button near the upper left corner of the screen.

pardon me..i couldn't find out the option "new topic".

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the analysis of functions, sequences, and series in the complex plane, as well as the properties and behavior of complex numbers.

2. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving electric circuits, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and more. It is also used in creating computer graphics and in the study of fractals.

3. What is the difference between a complex function and a real function?

A complex function takes complex numbers as inputs and outputs complex numbers, while a real function takes real numbers as inputs and outputs real numbers. Complex functions have both real and imaginary parts, while real functions only have real parts.

4. What are the main tools in complex analysis?

The main tools in complex analysis include differentiation, integration, power series, and contour integration. These tools are used to study the behavior and properties of complex functions, as well as to solve problems related to complex numbers.

5. How is complex analysis related to calculus?

Complex analysis is an extension of calculus to the complex plane. It uses many of the same concepts and techniques as calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. However, complex analysis also introduces new concepts, such as analytic functions and complex integration, that are not present in traditional calculus.