Formula for the sequence c defined by Sequence b

In summary: This works perfectly! C(1)=(-1), C(2)=1, C(3)=(-2), C(4)=2, C(5)=(-3), etc. Both formulas are very easy to prove.
moporho

Homework Statement

Sequence b defined by bn=n(-1)^n, n≥1)

Find a formula for the sequence c defined by Cn= [tex]\Sigma[/tex](i=1)^n b_i )

Homework Equations

Cn= [tex]\Sigma[/tex](i=1)^n b_i )

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I solve for bi sequence first then solve for C?

Cn= [tex]\Sigma[/tex](i=1)^n b_i )=(n*1)^n +(n*1)^n +(n*1)^n +...

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try writing down the first five or ten terms and see what it looks like? Can you describe it in words? You may find it easier to write separate formulas for the even and odd terms. Now can you prove it's correct? Probably by induction?

yes and this is what I came up with:

Cn=1(-1)^1 + 2(-1)^2 + 3(-1)^3 + 4(-1)^4 +5(-1)^5 + 6(-1)^6 + 7(-1)^7 + 8(-1)^8 + 9(-1)^9 + 10(-1)^10 ...n(-1)^n
= -1 + 2 + -3 + 4 + -5 + 6 + -7 + 8 + -9 + 10...n(-1)^n

so I think the answer should be {-1,-3,-5, -7 -9...} if n is negative
and {2,4,5,6,8,10...} if n is postive

Am I on the right path? Does this look correct?

But you didn't add them up.
C1=-1
C2=-1+2
C3=-1+2-3
C4=-1+2-3+4
etc.

How is this for the final answer?
C1 = -1
C2 = 1
C3 = -2
C4 = 2
C5 = -3
C6 = 3
C7 = -4
C8 = 4
C9 = -5
C10 = 5

{-1,-2,-3, -4, -5,∞} if n is negative
{1, 2, 3, 4, 5,∞} if n is positive

The table is great. The description not so much. n is ALWAYS positive. It's either odd or even. Try writing it this way. If n is even it can be written as 2k (for some other integer k), if it's odd it can be written as 2k+1. So what are C(2k) and C(2k+1)?

C(2k) = even
C(2k+1) = odd

Thank you so much. It really helps to have someone walk you through. I appreciate it!

moporho said:
C(2k) = even
C(2k+1) = odd

Thank you so much. It really helps to have someone walk you through. I appreciate it!

But you didn't say what C(2k) and C(2k+1) are!? You don't have a 'formula' yet.

C(2k) = 2, 4, 6, 8, 10,...n(-1)^n
C{2k + 1) = 1, 3, 5, 7, 9,...n(-1)^n
?

I am lost!

How about C(2k)=k? k=1 gives C(2)=1, k=2 gives C(4)=2. That fits with your table, yes? What is C(2k+1)?

C(2k+1)=k?

moporho said:
C(2k+1)=k?

If that were correct then k=0 makes C(1)=0, k=1 makes C(3)=1, k=2 makes C(5)=2. If I refer to your table I see that the magnitude of those numbers is one too low, and the sign is wrong. Can you fix the formula?

C(2k + 1) = 2k + 1; 2k+1=3 gives C(2*3 + 1)=7, C(2*7 +1)=15

moporho said:
C(2k + 1) = 2k + 1; 2k+1=3 gives C(2*3 + 1)=7, C(2*7 +1)=15

So that doesn't work either, right?

Now I am totally lost. It does not match the table.

moporho said:
Now I am totally lost. It does not match the table.

It doesn't match the table because the formula is wrong. Can't you figure out how to fix the formula?? You want to match C(1)=(-1), C(3)=(-2), C(5)=(-3), etc. C(2k+1)=k and C(2k+1)=2k+1 are not the only choices available. Use your imagination! As I said, C(2k+1)=k is only a little wrong in two respects.

No I can not figure out the formula! I am not seeing what you what and I do not understand! This is all I can come up with

C(2k+1)=-k
C(2(-1)+1 = -1
C(2(-2)+1 = -3
C(2(-3)+1 = -5
C(2(-4)+1 = -7

to get the

C(2(-3/2)+1) = -2
C(2(-5/2)+1) = -4
C(2(-7/2)+1) = -6

I do not understand! What does the formula look like?

I am saying that it is simplest to write TWO DIFFERENT formulas, one for even numbers and one for odd. If n is even and n=2k, write C(2k)=k (or C(n)=n/2). If n is odd and n=2k+1 write C(2k+1)=(-k-1) (or C(n)=(-n-1)/2).

1. What is the formula for the sequence c?

The formula for the sequence c defined by Sequence b is determined by the pattern and rule of Sequence b. It could be a simple arithmetic or geometric sequence, or it could be a more complex formula involving variables and exponents.

2. How is the formula for sequence c related to sequence b?

The formula for sequence c is directly related to sequence b as it follows the same pattern and rule, but with a different starting point or initial term. It is essentially an extension or continuation of sequence b.

3. Do all sequences have a formula?

No, not all sequences have a formula that can be easily determined. Some sequences may follow a pattern or rule, but it may be more difficult to find a formula that accurately represents it. Other sequences may not follow a specific pattern at all and do not have a formula.

4. How can I find the formula for a given sequence?

To find the formula for a given sequence, you need to first analyze the pattern and rule of the sequence. This can be done by looking at the difference between terms in an arithmetic sequence or the ratio between terms in a geometric sequence. Once you have identified the pattern, you can use algebraic methods to find the formula.

5. Can the formula for a sequence change?

Yes, the formula for a sequence can change if the pattern or rule of the sequence changes. For example, if a sequence starts with an arithmetic pattern but then switches to a geometric pattern, the formula will also change. Additionally, if the initial term or rule of the sequence is altered, the formula may also change.