Statics Question involving forces and moments

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the reactions at point E when a=2 and a=7.5, with a discrepancy in the calculations for the latter. The person mentions their previous successful calculation for a=2 and questions what they may have missed in their steps. They also bring up the possibility of forgetting to include a 32 inch pound couple in the calculation for a=7.5.
jnbfive
Just figured I'd throw this up here. I was able to solve for the reaction at E when a=2 but when I tried for a=7.5, I wound up with something completely different. I was wondering what I'm not incorporating into the steps to solving this.

Also, it says determine the reactions at A and E. The page got cut when I scanned it.

Attachments

• Problem_4.26.jpg
    Problem_4.26.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
This is my work for solving part a) when a=2

Sum of the Moment about A = 20(2)-16(1.5)+[5.5(sin(30))+2(cos(30)]E

-8=[5.5(sin(30))+2(cos(30)]E

E= -8/[5.5(sin(30))+2(cos(30)] or 3.57 lbs at a 60 degree angle, which is what the book says.

Now how come when I plug in 7.5 in a, I can't come up with 21.0 lbs? Suggestions would be appreciated

jnbfive said:
This is my work for solving part a) when a=2

Sum of the Moment about A = 20(2)-16(1.5)+[5.5(sin(30))+2(cos(30)]E
what happened to the 32 in-lb couple?
-8=[5.5(sin(30))+2(cos(30)]E

E= -8/[5.5(sin(30))+2(cos(30)] or 3.57 lbs at a 60 degree angle, which is what the book says.
correct answer (specify direction), wrong equation and math.
Now how come when I plug in 7.5 in a, I can't come up with 21.0 lbs? Suggestions would be appreciated
maybe you forgot the 32 inch pound couple?

What is the difference between a force and a moment?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate, while a moment is a rotational force that causes an object to rotate around a fixed point.

How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of a force?

The magnitude of a force can be calculated using the equation F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. The direction of the force can be determined by using vector components or trigonometric functions.

What is a free body diagram and why is it important in statics?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It is important in statics because it allows us to analyze and solve problems involving forces and moments on objects.

How do you determine the equilibrium of a system?

To determine the equilibrium of a system, the sum of all forces acting on the object must be zero and the sum of all moments must also be zero. This means that the object is not moving or rotating.

What is the difference between a concurrent and a non-concurrent force system?

A concurrent force system has all the forces acting on a single point, while a non-concurrent force system has forces acting on different points. In a concurrent system, the forces can be easily resolved into components, while in a non-concurrent system, the forces must be resolved using vector components or trigonometric functions.