Calculating Torque on a Circular Loop in an External Magnetic Field

In summary, the problem involves a circular loop with a current of 6.1 A and a circumference of 110 cm, placed in an external magnetic field of 5.5 T at an angle of 42 degrees. To determine the torque exerted on the loop, we use the equation torque = N*I*A*B*sin(theta), where N is the number of loops, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, B is the magnetic field, and theta is the angle between the field and the plane of the loop. After solving for the necessary values, we get a torque of 2.1616 N*m.
Kris1120

Homework Statement

A current of 6.1 A is maintained in a single circular loop having a circumference of
110 cm. An external magnetic field of 5.5 T is
directed such that the angle between the field
and the plane of the loop is 42◦.
Determine the magnitude of the torque exerted on the loop by the magnetic forces acting upon it.
Answer in units of N · m.

Homework Equations

torque = N*I*A*B*sin(theta)

A=pi*r^2

C=2*pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

r=1.1/(2*pi)
= 0.17507 m

A=pi*r^2
=pi*(0.17507 m)^2
=0.096288 m^2

torque = 1 loop * 6.1 A * 0.096288 m^2 * 5.5 T * sin(42)
= 2.1616 N*m

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kris1120,

Kris1120 said:

Homework Statement

A current of 6.1 A is maintained in a single circular loop having a circumference of
110 cm. An external magnetic field of 5.5 T is
directed such that the angle between the field
and the plane of the loop is 42◦.
Determine the magnitude of the torque exerted on the loop by the magnetic forces acting upon it.
Answer in units of N · m.

Homework Equations

torque = N*I*A*B*sin(theta)

I believe you make an error later in applying this equation. What does the theta in this equation represent?

Oh I have to subtract theta from 90! Thanks!

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is typically represented by magnetic field lines that show the direction and strength of the field.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. When these charges move, they create a force that can be felt by other moving charges in the surrounding space, creating a magnetic field.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic fields and currents?

Magnetic fields and currents are closely related. A current flowing through a conductor will create a magnetic field around the conductor, and a magnetic field can induce a current in a conductor. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many technologies, such as generators and motors.

4. How do magnetic fields interact with each other?

Magnetic fields interact with each other in a similar way to how electric fields interact. Like poles of two magnets will repel each other, while opposite poles will attract. This interaction is described by the laws of magnetism, which state that magnetic fields follow specific patterns and rules of behavior.

5. Why are magnetic fields important in everyday life?

Magnetic fields play a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives. They are used in technology such as generators, motors, and transformers, which are essential for producing and distributing electricity. They also play a role in navigation, as the Earth's magnetic field helps compasses determine direction. Magnetic fields are also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI, and in various industrial processes such as metal processing and particle accelerators.