More than three calculus classes?

In summary, the conversation includes a student discussing their plans to transfer from a community college to a university and their concerns about the rigor of the mathematics program at the university they are considering (UNCC). The conversation also involves a comparison of math curriculums at different universities and the possibility of getting into top graduate programs with a background in home schooling. The student has a 3.8 GPA and is aiming for a Ph.D in pure mathematics. They also mention taking remedial classes and their current courses in calculus and linear algebra.
Geekchick
Hi,

I am currently attending a community college, but I will transferring next fall. One of the universities I am looking at offers calc 1,2,3&4 as well as advanced calculus of one variable and advanced calculus of several variables both of which have calc 4 and linear algebra as prerequisites. The descriptions are as follows,

Calculus 1
Elementary functions, derivatives and their application, introduction to definite integrals

Calculus 2
Methods for evaluating definite integrals, applications of integration, improper integrals, infinite series, and introduction to differential equations

calculus 3
Functions of two or more variables, vectors in two and three dimensions, partial derivatives,
optimization, double and triple, integrals, and their applications

calculus 4
Parametric curves and surfaces, vector fields, line and surface integrals; Green's theorem, Divergence theorem, Stoke's theorem and applications, Fourier series and its applications.

advanced calculus of one variable
Topology of the real line; continuity, uniform continuity, differentiability, integration, sequences and series functions

advanced calculus of several variables
continuity and differentiability of functions of several variables, inverse and implicit function theorems, integration, Fubini's theorem, change of variables, teh classical integral theorems of Gauss, Green and Stokes and their generalizations.

Most of the well known universities I have looked at have looked at only have calculus of one variable, calculus of several variables, and vector calculus. So my question is since this university offers so many can that mean that they have a less rigorous program? Would it mean that it's not a good college (it's UNCC if anyone wants to know)? I know its not a highly rated university but is it bad enough to hinder my chances of getting into a top graduate program? I would prefer to attend Duke or Reed. My grades are good I have a 3.8 GPA and I should have a 4.0 this semester. The reason I am not placing any bets on getting into Duke or Reed is because I had to take remedial classes in both English and math (I was home schooled and my parents were not concerned about my education). I had to start with introductory algebra then I did intermediate algebra and college algebra in one semester followed by Precalculus over the summer as an independent study. Now I am in calculus one but they are not offering calculus two next semester so I can either take it as an independent study or take it somewhere else I would prefer the latter. So sorry that was so long but I am really worried about all of this. My final goal would be to get my Ph.D in pure mathematics. One more down side to UNCC is that they only have a general math degree and a degree in statistics.

Please someone I really need some advice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At my school (UMass), engineering and physics majors take Calculus I, Calculus II, Multivariable Calculus (Calculus III), and Differential Equations.

For us, Calculus III incorporates what you guys cover in both Calculus III and IV. I'm not sure about the "Advanced" Calculus classes you have listed, as I'm in Calculus III right now.

A separate Linear Algebra class is available, which I took and recommend.

thanks, yeah I plan on taking linear algebra next semester then taking differential equations over the summer.

Yuo should also check whether these are "semester", "quarter" or "trimester" courses.

they are semester

Does anyone think it would be possible for me to get into Duke or Reed?

Geekchick said:
Most of the well known universities I have looked at have looked at only have calculus of one variable, calculus of several variables, and vector calculus.

What you call "calculus 4" is what is generally called vector calculus. I don't know about your other questions, since you don't give a description of the courses: "calculus of one variable" could contain anything. One way to tell would be to look at the actual descriptions of content covered in the courses at these other universities.

Geekchick said:
Does anyone think it would be possible for me to get into Duke or Reed?

That's a rather impossible question to answer: no-one here can gauge the level of your education from what you've posted.

Nick M said:
At my school (UMass), engineering and physics majors take Calculus I, Calculus II, Multivariable Calculus (Calculus III), and Differential Equations.
That's how my undergraduate math courses were organized as well (though I didn't continue on to Diff Eqs).

For us, Calculus III incorporates what you guys cover in both Calculus III and IV. I'm not sure about the "Advanced" Calculus classes you have listed, as I'm in Calculus III right now.

I'm not sure what to make of having Calc III (multivariable) spread over two terms. It could be that it's a slower pace than at other schools, or it could be that it goes into more depth than other schools. I wouldn't judge the quality of a program by the names of their courses.

It's hard to say with complete certainty, but it looks like calculus 3 and 4 cover material in a bit more depth than often is the case in a single calculus III course. Advanced calculus looks like a bit of real analysis in one and three dimensions. Roughly, real analysis is calculus done more rigourously. I took real analysis courses.

well here is my prior informations (since I would really like to know about my odds of getting into duke or reed)

I was home schooled since first grade in the middle of 8th grade my mom starting her own business and neglected my studies by ninth grade was no longer being taught anything. I thought this was cool at first but then when my friends started talking about things I knew nothing about and looking at me like I was an idiot when I mentioned this I began wanting to go to public school but my parents wouldn't let me. They didn't even encourage me to go to college quite the contrary I had to fight with my dad so he would lend me the money to start at the local community college which I have enjoyed so far although I have been under stimulated. I did have to take a few remedial courses since I had no high school education. My math was really bad and so was my English, but I caught onto to it really quickly (since it had nothing to do with my not understanding it only with not ever learning it) I can post the classes I have taken so far if that would be helpful but I will sum it up to say I have taken thirteen classes so far and have gotten A's in everything except international business (I had tonsillitis and mono during finals) so I got a B and I got a B in precalculus which I took as an independent study this summer. It wasn't hard but I had a LOT of family issues. This semester I am only taking four classes because I am working three part time jobs. One of the classes I am taking is calculus 1 in which we have studied limits, derivatives, integrals and I have been going over sigma notation and Riemann sum since I am taking honors calculus. (my teacher doesn't normally cover this but I told her I was interested) even with the additional honors work I am still not challenged in this class.

Last edited:
Geekchick said:
they are semester

Are the courses listed as three or four semester hours each?

Most places have a three-semester calculus sequence with four hours per course. We have a four-semester sequence with three hours per course, which is supposed to be equivalent to other colleges' three-semester sequence.

oh, they are 3 credits.

If you're considering Reed as an example of a good program bear in mind that they also have four calculus classes. Calc I, Calc II, Mulitvariable Calc I, and Multivariable Calc II. I feel like a fourth calculus class is a sign of more in-depth study, not of the first three classes being weaker. Calculus is, after all, an extremely large subject.

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that studies rates of change and accumulation, particularly in the fields of geometry and physics. It involves the study of derivatives, integrals, and limits.

Why are more than three calculus classes required?

More than three calculus classes are typically required because calculus is a foundational subject in many STEM fields. It provides students with important problem-solving skills and a deep understanding of mathematical concepts that are necessary for advanced coursework.

What are the benefits of taking more than three calculus classes?

Taking more than three calculus classes can help students develop strong critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as a solid foundation for further studies in mathematics, engineering, and physics. It can also open up opportunities for internships, research, and graduate studies.

How can I succeed in more than three calculus classes?

To succeed in more than three calculus classes, it is important to attend all lectures, take thorough notes, and complete all assigned homework and practice problems. It is also helpful to form study groups, seek help from instructors or tutors, and practice regularly.

What careers require more than three calculus classes?

Many careers in STEM fields, such as engineering, computer science, finance, and data analysis, require a strong understanding of calculus. Additionally, advanced studies in mathematics, physics, and economics often involve more than three calculus classes.