Choosing Between College for Engineering or Physics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the dilemma of choosing between studying physics or engineering in college. The individual is torn between their love for physics and the practicality of engineering in terms of employability. Others suggest pursuing engineering as it involves both physics and math, but the individual is still unsure about committing to it for their entire career. Suggestions are given to consider doing a double major or taking additional courses in physics while studying engineering.
lax1113
Hey guys,
I am having a hard time choosing between college for engineering or for physics. At one end of the spectrum, I want to study physics because I just really love the material. I want to know how EVERYTHING works, and although engineering is heavy in math and physics, I don't know if an engineering degree can satisfy my want for physics. Also, stemming off of my want to know how it all works, I sort of want to be really informed about something. It is hard to explain this, but I would much rather be very knowledgeable about an area, rather than simply know enough to get a job done. The downside to this is that I am seeing a pattern that physics is not as employable as engineering. Engineering... on the other hand... is seemingly the most employable college there is. For example, the one college I am looking at had 99% of their graduates go on to either a grad school or a job placement because of all the internships involved there. That sounds awesome and great, but I fear the cubicle stories that I hear. If engineering trufully was as hands on as it is sometimes depicted to be, I have no doubt that it would be a great career, however, I am unsure if it is really what I would want to do for my whole life, and never really get the satisfaction of learning physics.

So basically, I have the thing that I 'think' I really want to do, and the thing that I 'think' I really ought to do...

Anyone else ever have this issue?... How did you solve it?

other are free to chime in as well!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do engineering! Physics and math are heavily involved. I did undergrad physics and am going to get my MS in EE or a related field b/c I feel physics as an undergrad degree in the real world is treated like an engineering aid. I know of no alumni who hold good positions with just a BS in physics. If you want to get a phd and teach then go for physics but engineering is by far more marketable.

Try doing a search on the forum. I think there are many posts like yours which describe the similarities and differences.

You'' also find that either way, you'll need to get more specific...say EE versus ME for example...
believe me, you'll really find a lot of detail about how things work in the engineering of your choice...less theoretical and really practical in application.

The first year of physics is often pretty much the same for everybody...statics and dynamics perhaps as well...calculus too...you'll get a flavor as you get some courses completed...

Another approach is to do engineeering, and take some extra physics of interest to you ...I happened to study EE with a minor in nuclear physics and also took extra math because I found it interesting...if anyone had properly given me guidance, I could have taken just two more math courses and gotten an undergraduate degree in math as well as engineering...

in other words, instead of taking easy elective courses you don't really like and will never use, take some hard core courses you love...maybe even some summer courses if time and workload get too heavy...

Try doing a search on the forum. you will find you need

Seriously guys, enough with the search for it deal. First of all, I always do use the search, but because there are so many posts, it doesn't help at all. Wheni searched for it mostly what i got was what specific type of engineering someone should do or the careers that physics undergrad degree can get. This isn't what I wanted, and my situation is specific to be. I do appreciate the two 'real' responses, and although I am still very undecided, I am starting to consider the idea of how much more marketable engineering really is.

Double Major in both.

...Problem solved.

1. What is the main difference between studying engineering and physics in college?

Engineering is a practical, applied science that focuses on designing and building solutions to real-world problems. Physics, on the other hand, is a theoretical science that seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

2. Which major has better job prospects after graduation?

Both engineering and physics majors have strong job prospects, but they lead to different career paths. Engineering graduates typically go on to work in industries such as aerospace, defense, and electronics, while physics graduates may pursue careers in academia, research, or other fields that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

3. Can I switch between engineering and physics majors during college?

It is possible to switch between majors during college, but it may require additional coursework and could delay your graduation. It's important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a decision on which major to pursue.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are necessary for success in engineering or physics?

Both engineering and physics require strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. In addition, a solid foundation in math and science is essential for success in either field. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for engineers, while creativity and the ability to think abstractly are crucial for physicists.

5. How do I decide which major is right for me?

The best way to decide between engineering and physics is to explore your interests and strengths. Consider taking introductory courses in both fields to see which one you enjoy and excel in the most. You can also talk to current college students and professionals in both fields to get a better understanding of the day-to-day work and career opportunities available.