What happened to the characters after the fall of Troy?

• Thread starter Stanley_Smith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary: Troy. For example, some believe that Schliemann was actually able to find the ruins because he had some clues about its location in ancient texts. Others believe that Schliemann found the ruins because he was able to bribe the local officials. Still others believe that Schliemann found the ruins because he was actually able to find the entrance to the Trojan Horse.
Stanley_Smith
I just saw Troy today, what's a great movie !

I haven't got a chance to read The Iliad yet, what happened after Troy falls, what happen to Paris, Helen and etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
I just want to see brad pit wearing a skirt and nifty sandals. Well, paris dies (his first lov, this nymph godess type chick refuses to heal him coz she is bitter about being dicthed for that helen woman ) and I forgot wot happened to helen, i think she gies back with her husband... All i know is that the love paris and helen shared kinda fizzles out and is nowhere as passionate as the movie depicts. odysseus goes on that whole journey back to ithaca, ... yeah that's about it.

Paris dies, Helen just becomes her old husbands kinda servant so she doesn't get killed, so i have read in many places, i might be wrong though

i_wish_i_was_smart is right, but there's some additional things I noticed that are different. They took out the supernatural element completely, other than casual mentioning of the gods. Helen was a daughter of Zeus, many men in her youth were suitors and she had her choice of husbands. In the movie, she was portrayed more as a slave or something with no choice. Another difference, some writings portray her as being a pawn of the gods and having no choice, others say she went with Paris for love, others that she went as his prisoner. What's particularly bad if she went willingly is that she had a child that she left behind.

The war lasted 10 years, in the movie it looks as though it were only a few weeks at most. The subplot with Briseus was different. In the original, she was given to Achilles and a priestess was given to Agamemnon. After a plague struck, the Greeks returned the priestess and Agamemnon took Briseus. In the movie, the character of Briseus and the priestess were merged.

In the traditional work, Helen's husband didn't die and he did indeed claim her and take her back at the end. Hector's wife and child did die as he told her would happen, his son was thrown from the walls and his wife Andromache was taken away to be a slave. Agamemnon returned home where he was killed by his wife and her lover.

i read she left her old husband, and then went to Paris of Troy, her ex-husband gave her and ultimatum to come back to him, and the trojans disregarded it

If you read the Iliad, you might be confused. Agememnon lives to return to Greece, Menelaus lives quite a long time after the war ends. They both die in the movie. Also, they were not buffoons in the legends.

I was surprised. I was sure the whole "Trojan Horse" thing happened in the Iliad, but my wife checked - it doesn't. It is mentioned in retrospect in the Aeniad.

i'm not that informed on the subject, it never apealed to me, one side won, the other lost, and their was a big horse filled with people that came out and slaughtered everyone, that is me extent of my knowledge on the subject

"The war lasted 10 years, in the movie it looks as though it were only a few weeks at most"

Yeah, the movie is very loosely based on the Iliad.

Wow, 10 years ! Where do the Greek get the food and weapon to last 10 years ?!

So to sum up, correct me if I'm wrong. Achilles and Hector died, Paris died later after Troy fell, Helen got back with her husband, king of Spartan. Hector's son died and his wife was enslaved. Agamemnon returned home and got killed later, and Odysseus returned home; after Agamemnon died, odysseus should be king of kings right, because everyone else died !

if you put it that way, ya

Njorl said:
I was surprised. I was sure the whole "Trojan Horse" thing happened in the Iliad, but my wife checked - it doesn't. It is mentioned in retrospect in the Aeniad.
Your wife is correct Njorl. I have the W.H.D. Rouse translation and it doesn't mention a 'Trojan Horse'.

It would be great to see the movie, the Iliad is one of the greatest fiction books I've ever read, I would put it between the 5 best. I remember that there were doubts about if Homer was really the author of both the Iliad and the Odyssey. Somebody has cleared up this?

BTW, the whole thing about the discovery of the ruins of Troy, with the archeologist Schliemann discovering it after reading some clues about its location in different ancient texts, is also very interesting. In fact, Schliemann also believed in the existence of Atlantis.

Last edited:
I've heard some interesting theories about interpretations of the horse. I heard one explanation of the horse as a metaphor. Poseiden was the god of the sea, storms earthquakes and horses. The horse replaced the true cause of the breaching of Troy's walls, an earthquake. It sounds reasonable, but I bet it's creator has about as much proof as I have that Odysseus really did blind a Cyclops.

Njorl

I liked the movie. I have always been interested in Ancient History but chose the wrong subjects at school. Since watching the movie, I have a strange desire to learn about this. Firstly I'll read about the first action hero... Gilgamesh.

Anyway, did Odysseus ever make it home?

jimmy p said:
I liked the movie. I have always been interested in Ancient History but chose the wrong subjects at school. Since watching the movie, I have a strange desire to learn about this. Firstly I'll read about the first action hero... Gilgamesh.

Anyway, did Odysseus ever make it home?

I think it took him another 10 years. Most of it was spent as the prisoner of a beautiful sea nymph who kept him as her sex-slave in eternal youth. Then, he was shipwrecked on the island of the beautiful sorcerer Circe. She turned his crew into pigs, and insisted that he bang her a few times before she'd change them back. He thought these were bad things.

Do these kinda things happen to me? No! I get flat tires! I get drunks throwing up on my windshield. I have to work late to finish my boss's pet project. No, no sea nymphs for Njorl. :devil:

Njorl

Njorl said:
I think it took him another 10 years. Most of it was spent as the prisoner of a beautiful sea nymph who kept him as her sex-slave in eternal youth. Then, he was shipwrecked on the island of the beautiful sorcerer Circe. She turned his crew into pigs, and insisted that he bang her a few times before she'd change them back.

I saw that Simpsons episode too :wink:

He thought these were bad things.

The fool. Some people just don't deserve these things to happen to them.

Do these kinda things happen to me? No! I get flat tires! I get drunks throwing up on my windshield. I have to work late to finish my boss's pet project. No, no sea nymphs for Njorl. :devil:

It's a tough life isn't it? None of that stuff happens to me either. I wish I were an ancient Greek/believed in sea nymphs.

Was Odysseus played by Sean Bean? I didnt pay much attention to the characters names.

Indeed he was. You may remember him from such films as Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. And the hit TV dramas of the Sharpe series.

1. Is the "Troy" movie historically accurate?

While the movie is based on the epic poem "The Iliad" by Homer, it is not completely historically accurate. Some events and characters were altered or added for dramatic effect.

2. Who are the main characters in the "Troy" movie?

The main characters are Achilles, Hector, Agamemnon, and Paris, as well as the gods Zeus, Apollo, and Athena.

3. Is "Troy" a good representation of Greek mythology?

The movie takes some creative liberties with Greek mythology, but overall it does a decent job of portraying the gods and their involvement in the Trojan War.

4. How does the movie compare to the original "Iliad" poem?

The movie does deviate from the original poem in some aspects, but it still captures the main themes and characters of "The Iliad".

5. What makes the "Troy" movie a good film?

The movie has stunning visuals, intense battle scenes, and an all-star cast that brings the characters to life. It also explores themes of honor, love, and fate in a compelling way.