Question involving load on beams

In summary, the conversation discusses three loads on a beam in pounds, and two cases where reactions and diagrams need to be calculated. The conversation also mentions using equations and solving for equilibrium, as well as providing scanned images for reference. The participants express gratitude for the help and mention almost completing the work themselves.
luysion
Hey, so there are three loads on a beam the units they are is in pounds (i.e. 7200pounds is one of the loads). There are two cases each for which I need to calculate reactions and draw bending moments and a sheer force diagram.

The PDF attachment contains the information in more detail help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• LOADS Model (1).pdf
    12 KB · Views: 233
Engineering news on Phys.org
luysion: Is this a school assignment? If so, you must list relevant equations, and show your work.

sum forces and moments in y and at a pivot point. draw shear diag from that info.

integral of shear is moment. just make sure you got equil. on your beam.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey nick and nvn thanks alot, this isn't my homework nvn heh I am trying to learn this concept.
ive done some working out if any1 could check it out much appreciated

Attachments

• -1LOADS Model (1).pdf
    16.2 KB · Views: 235
In case 1, there is no applied moment at the point in which the first load is applied, therefore the moment would start at zero. Untill the upward force of 7200, all areas on the shear diagram are negative, which means all lines on the moment diagram until that point have a negative slope. I did not check your numbers, but that appears to be the only mistake.

Your case 2 appears right, but I did not run the numbers.

I have worked out Case #1... Please see the attached jpegs.

You can solve for Case #2 using the same methods described in the scaned images.

Let me know if you have a problem with it.

Regards,

Attachments

• Case 1a.jpg
    Case 1a.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 396
  • Case 1b.jpg
    Case 1b.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 421
Nick bruno + Tony71502
thanks a lot guys really appreciate it
nick your working helped me out a heap thanks man :)

ive almost completed the work myself thanks to the help recieved

1. What is a beam load?

A beam load is the amount of force or weight that is applied to a beam. This can include both static and dynamic loads, such as the weight of a structure or the force of wind or moving objects.

2. How do I calculate the load on a beam?

The load on a beam can be calculated by determining the total weight of the objects or structures that are being supported by the beam, and then factoring in any additional loads such as wind or dynamic forces. This calculation can be done using mathematical equations or with the help of load tables provided by engineering resources.

3. What factors affect the load capacity of a beam?

The load capacity of a beam can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material of the beam, its shape and size, the type of support it is receiving, and the type and magnitude of the load being applied. Other factors such as temperature, moisture, and corrosion can also impact the load capacity over time.

4. How does the distribution of load affect a beam's strength?

The way in which load is distributed along a beam can greatly impact its strength and ability to support weight. For example, if the load is evenly distributed along the entire length of the beam, it will be able to support more weight than if the load is concentrated in one area. Properly distributing load is important in designing and constructing a safe and stable structure.

5. How do I ensure that a beam can withstand the load it is designed for?

To ensure that a beam can withstand the load it is designed for, it is important to carefully calculate and consider all of the factors that can affect its load capacity. This includes choosing the appropriate material and size for the beam, properly distributing the load, and regularly inspecting and maintaining the beam to prevent any potential weaknesses or failures.