Threading #6-32 UNC Hole in Plexiglass - DIY Guide

In summary: Then I am going to use a bolt that is a #6-32 UNC and I need to drill a hole in a surface to for this bolt to fit into. How big should this hole be? If the material I am going to be threading the bolt into is plexiglass do I need to thread the hole I drill? I plan to put a nut on the other side.In summary, if the material you are threading the bolt into is plexiglass, you do not need to thread the hole you drill. Just make sure the hole size is big enough for the bolt to fit through.
JD88
Probably a stupid question but...

I have a device with a bolt that is designated #6-32 UNC. I need to drill a hole in a surface to for this bolt to fit into. How big should this hole be? If the material I am going to be threading the bolt into is plexiglass do I need to thread the hole I drill? I plan to put a nut on the other side.

Engineering news on Phys.org
JD88 said:
I have a device with a bolt that is designated #6-32 UNC. I need to drill a hole in a surface to for this bolt to fit into. How big should this hole be? If the material I am going to be threading the bolt into is plexiglass do I need to thread the hole I drill? I plan to put a nut on the other side.
Is this what you want?
http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/US-Tap-Drill-Size.aspx
This is a more complete table:
http://www.marfas.com/machinescrewtapping.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Because he's using a nut on the other side, he needs a clearance hole not a drill size for tapping.

I use my Machinery's Handbook (27th edition) for all such things. In clearance holes on page 1621, a "normal fit" clearance hole for a 6-32 screw is a #18 drill, or .170". A "close fit" is a #23 drill or .154".

I found this table of tap and clearance hole values: http://www.stanford.edu/~jwodin/holes.html

It has somewhat smaller sizes quoted than in my Machinery's Handbook, but it looks like they would work in a pinch.

Mech_Engineer said:
Because he's using a nut on the other side, he needs a clearance hole not a drill size for tapping.

I use my Machinery's Handbook (27th edition) for all such things. In clearance holes on page 1621, a "normal fit" clearance hole for a 6-32 screw is a #18 drill, or .170". A "close fit" is a #23 drill or .154".

So does that mean that if I drill a clean hole that .154", my bolt will fit nice and tight in there and then when I put the nut on everything will be nice and sturdy?

Is it just one hole or do you have to worry about multiple hole being aligned? If it is just one hole and you want it pretty tight, you can get away with going the next drill size up from the .138 (I think). That's going to be pretty darned tight. I would recommend not going below the .154 though.

If you have multiple holes to align, you need to look at the tolerances of the bolt hole positions and what your machining can achieve to establish the hole size.

Bolting Plexiglas is not recommended, especially if used outdoors, with a large difference in temperature. The reason is it has a large Coefficient of Thermal Expansion, about four times as much as aluminium. If it is not allowed to expand and contract it will crack.

If you must use bolts: cut the panel with 1/8 to 1/4 inch clearance and holes should be drilled about 1/8 inch oversize. Screws should be tightened down and then backed off one full turn, using elastic stop nuts and large washers.

It works better if you use a drill bit with an included angle of 150 degrees or a unibit drill.
Better method available here:
http://www.altuglas.com/expert/data/116
http://www.rplastics.com/plexdesign.html

This is going to be inside. I am not worried about temperature variation.

Actually what I am going to need to do is have two layers of plexiglass with three Honeywell Model 31 Load cells in between and attached to each layer.

1. How do I determine the correct size for a #6-32 UNC hole in plexiglass?

To determine the correct size for a #6-32 UNC hole in plexiglass, you will need to measure the diameter of the screw you plan to use. The hole should be slightly smaller than the diameter of the screw, as plexiglass can crack easily if the hole is too large. It is recommended to use a drill bit that is one size smaller than the diameter of the screw.

2. What type of drill bit should I use to thread a #6-32 UNC hole in plexiglass?

You should use a high-speed steel (HSS) drill bit with a sharp point for threading a #6-32 UNC hole in plexiglass. It is important to use a sharp bit to prevent the plexiglass from chipping or cracking. It is also recommended to use a drill press for more accurate and controlled drilling.

3. How do I prevent the plexiglass from cracking while threading a #6-32 UNC hole?

To prevent the plexiglass from cracking while threading a #6-32 UNC hole, you should use a lubricant such as mineral oil or cutting fluid. This will help reduce friction and prevent the plexiglass from overheating and cracking. It is also important to use a sharp drill bit and to drill at a slow speed.

4. Can I use a tap and die set to thread a #6-32 UNC hole in plexiglass?

It is not recommended to use a tap and die set to thread a #6-32 UNC hole in plexiglass. This method is more suitable for metal materials and can result in cracking or breaking of the plexiglass. It is best to use a drill bit to create the hole and then use a screw to thread it.

5. Is it necessary to wear protective gear when threading a #6-32 UNC hole in plexiglass?

Yes, it is highly recommended to wear protective gear when threading a #6-32 UNC hole in plexiglass. This includes safety glasses to protect your eyes from any flying debris, as well as gloves to protect your hands. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to follow all safety precautions when working with power tools.