How Long Will It Take for a Balloon's Pressure to Equalize Through a Small Hole?

• Thread starter reno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to figure out how long it will take for the pressure inside a balloon with a volume of 3000cm3 and a pressure of 9.7KPa to equal the ambient pressure in the room. They consider simplifying the problem by imagining a hollow cylinder and calculate the force of the air being expelled through a small hole on the surface it is attached to. They also question if Bernoulli's equation can be used for this problem. Eventually, they solve the problem on their own.
reno

Homework Statement

I have a balloon full of air, it is at a pressure relative to the ambient pressure of 9.7KPa and its volume is 3000cm3. The balloon is attached to a surface, this seal is airtight and perfect. The surface it is attached to contains a (very) small hole with an area of 0.25mm2. I am struggling to figure out how long it will take for the pressure within the balloon to equal that of the ambient pressure within the room.

Homework Equations

This is what I am stuck on, I don't have a clue which equation to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I would start at simplifying almost everything, instead of imagining a balloon attached to a surface I could just imagine a hollow cylinder with a volume of 3000cm2 and the same pressure being synthesised by a force acting on top of the air seeing as though the pressure within the balloon doesn't change until the very last second which I can neglect. I though about imagining it like a syringe with a constant force.
I calculated that the force of the air after being forced through the hole will be 2.425N. I think that is right, I also figured out that the air would be expelled at 127m/s but this seems a little high, can someone confirm this?

I would very much like this to be almost totally my own work so if you could just give me a few gentle nudges or a couple a links to a web page I would be eternally grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can I use Bernoulli's equation? Or is that fluids only?

Never mind, solved it myself

What is simple pressure?

Simple pressure is the force exerted by a gas or liquid on the walls of its container. It is typically measured in units of pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

What factors affect simple pressure?

The two main factors that affect simple pressure are the amount of gas or liquid present and the volume of the container. Temperature can also have an impact, as it affects the movement of particles and therefore the force they exert on the container walls.

How is simple pressure measured?

Simple pressure can be measured using a variety of instruments, including manometers, barometers, and pressure gauges. These instruments typically use a fluid-filled tube or chamber to convert pressure into a measurable quantity.

What are some real-life examples of simple pressure?

Some common examples of simple pressure in everyday life include the pressure of the air in a car tire, the pressure of water in a garden hose, and the pressure of the gas in a propane tank. Atmospheric pressure, which is the pressure exerted by the Earth's atmosphere, is also a form of simple pressure.

Why is understanding simple pressure important in science?

Understanding simple pressure is important in many scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It allows scientists to predict the behavior of gases and liquids in different conditions, and to design and operate equipment and systems that rely on pressure, such as pumps and engines.