Rotating Disk angular momentum

In summary: Just needed someone to show me how it worked.In summary, the angular momentum of the 3.1 kg, 4.5-cm-diameter rotating disk is .049 kg*m^2/s in the direction of rotation.
Dark Visitor
I need some help with this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is due tonight.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1035644/7/knight_Figure_13_47.jpg

Use the link above to solve the problem.

Part 1) What is the magnitude of the angular momentum of the 3.1 kg, 4.5-cm-diameter rotating disk in the figure ?

Part 2) What is it's direction?

For the first part, I think I need to use the equation L=Iw, but I got it wrong when I did, so I may have used the wrong numbers. If I am using the wrong equation, please tell me.

Physics news on Phys.org
As I stated in your other thread, show your work. We can't help you if we can't see where you are going wrong in your solution.

Well, as I said in this thread, I attempted it using the equation I posted and got it wrong. That's why I thought I needed to do for this problem, but I was wrong. Now I need help on finding where I went wrong and what to do next.

Yeah, but you didn't post what formula you used for the moment of inertia, or any of the steps of your calculation, so I have no idea whether you got the wrong answer because you made a calcuation error, or whether it was because you used the wrong moment of inertia equation.

Angular momentum is always given by L = Iw, so your "big picture" conceptual approach to solving the problem is correct. You are aware of all of the physics you need to know. It's just the details that need sorting out. If I can't see any of those details, I can't help you.

Nevermind. I realized I used the diameter in the Inertia equation instead of the radius. I will show you what I did anyways.

First I calculated that 600 RPM is equal to 62.83185 m/s. I then plugged that into the equation L=Iw, which gave me:

L = .5(M)(R)^2
= (.5(3.1 kg)(.0225 m)^2) * 62.83185 m/s
= .049 kg*m^2/s

And that was right. Now how would I get the direction of all that for Part 2?

Dark Visitor said:
First I calculated that 600 RPM is equal to 62.83185 m/s. I then plugged that into the equation L=Iw, which gave me:

You mean 62.83 1/s, right? (or radians per second, if you prefer to call it that). Velocity and angular velocity don't have the same units, because they aren't the same thing

Dark Visitor said:
And that was right. Now how would I get the direction of all that for Part 2?

The answer hasn't changed since the last time you were asked this question. The relationship between the direction of the angular momentum vector and the rotation direction is still given by the right hand rule.

Thanks. I figured it out shortly after you got off I think.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its rotational velocity. In simpler terms, it is the tendency of an object to keep rotating at a constant speed.

2. How is angular momentum related to rotating disks?

In a rotating disk, angular momentum is directly proportional to the mass of the disk, the radius of rotation, and the rotational velocity. This means that an increase in any of these factors will result in an increase in the angular momentum of the disk.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, provided there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that as the rotating disk's radius decreases, its angular velocity will increase in order to maintain the same angular momentum.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the angular momentum of a rotating disk?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, and it plays a significant role in determining the angular momentum of a rotating disk. The greater the moment of inertia, the greater the amount of angular momentum needed to rotate the disk at a certain speed.

5. Can the direction of angular momentum change in a rotating disk?

Yes, the direction of angular momentum can change in a rotating disk. This can happen when an external torque is applied, causing the disk to precess or wobble. However, the magnitude of the angular momentum will remain constant unless there is a change in the disk's mass, radius, or rotational velocity.