The effective radiative temperature

• Thread starter Sunshin3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, the conversation discusses the belief that 2.5-4 billion years ago, the sun's radiative output was 30% less than it is today. It then poses three questions: (i) the temperature of the sun at that time, (ii) the wavelength of the peak emission from the sun, and (iii) the temperature of the Earth at that time, assuming an albedo of 0.3. The solution to the first two questions involves the use of the Boltzman equation and Wien's law, while the third question remains unanswered.
Sunshin3

Homework Statement

It is believed that in the Archeaneon (2.5-4 billion years ago) the sun’s radiative output was 30% less than it is today.

(i) What would the temperature of the sun have been at that time?

(ii) At what wavelength would the peak emission from the sun have been?

(iii) Ignoring the effects of the atmosphere, what would the temperature of the Earth have been at this time (i.e. the effective radiative temperature)? Assume that the Earth’s albedo was 0.3, the same as today.

Homework Equations

Boltzman equation
wiens law

The Attempt at a Solution

a)T= 4th root[5143824/(5.67*10^-8)]
t=5488.14K

b)detlamax=2897/5488.147
=0.527

Physics news on Phys.org
i need help with part c? please can some 1 help me ! asap! I am desperate! thank you!:)

What is the effective radiative temperature?

The effective radiative temperature is a theoretical temperature used to describe the energy balance of a planet in a simplified way. It is the temperature that a planet would have to be at in order to emit the same amount of radiation as it receives from the sun.

How is the effective radiative temperature calculated?

The effective radiative temperature is calculated by using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which relates the temperature of an object to its energy radiation. It takes into account factors such as the distance from the sun, the albedo (reflectivity) of the planet's surface, and its greenhouse gas emissions.

What is the significance of the effective radiative temperature in climate science?

The effective radiative temperature is an important concept in climate science as it helps scientists understand the overall energy balance of a planet. It can also be used to compare the energy balance of different planets and to predict the potential effects of changes in factors such as greenhouse gas emissions on a planet's temperature.

Is the effective radiative temperature the same as the actual temperature of a planet?

No, the effective radiative temperature is a theoretical temperature and is not necessarily the same as the actual temperature of a planet. A planet's actual temperature is influenced by various factors such as its atmosphere, surface features, and internal processes, which can all affect its ability to absorb and emit radiation.

How does the effective radiative temperature relate to the greenhouse effect?

The effective radiative temperature is used to quantify the greenhouse effect on a planet. It represents the temperature that a planet would have if it had no atmosphere or greenhouse gases. By comparing this temperature to the actual temperature of a planet, scientists can calculate the strength of the greenhouse effect and understand how it affects the planet's overall energy balance.