How Does Distance Affect Light Intensity According to the Inverse Square Law?

In summary: So it would be 1 333 lux. In summary, the intensity of light on a screen at a distance of 2 m from the source will be 3 000 lux, based on the inverse square law. For (b), the intensity will be 1 333 lux.
Nul

Homework Statement

A source of light is used to illuminate a screen. 1 m from the source, the intensity of the light falling on the screen is 12 000 lux. Calculate the intensity on the screen at distances of:
(a) 2 m
(b) 3 m
(c) 4 m

Homework Equations

I 1/I 2 = d^2 2/d^2 1
or something

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand at all. I'm hoping you guys would be able to explain what I am meant to do here because the teacher fails at teaching.
Just give me the equation for (a) so that I have a better understanding of what the is going on which would hopefuly enable me to do (b) and (c).
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to assume that the source is either a point source or a spherical, isotropic one.
The inverse square law applies for intensity, in that the intensity of the light at a point away from the source is inversely proportional to the square of the distance of that point from the source.
Mathematically,
[tex]I \varpropto \frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]​

Thus, problems can be solved using this proportionality:
[tex]I_{1} = \frac{k}{{r_{1}}^2}[/tex]

[tex]I_{2} = \frac{k}{{r_{2}}^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{I_{1}}{I{_2}} = \frac{{r_{2}}^{2}}{{r_{1}}^{2}}[/tex]

yes... i know the formula
i have it in my book
but i don't know HOW to use them
can you just show me where the numbers should go for (a) then I would probably understand
please

Using the final equation I posted, substitute the values:
[tex]I_{1} = 12 000, r_{1} = 1, r_{2} = 2[/tex]​

Then it follows that
[tex]I_{2} = I_{1}\,\frac{{r_1}^2}{{r_2}^2} = 12 000\,\frac{1^2}{2^2} = 3 000 \,lux[/tex]​

From this, the inverse square law becomes apparent: at double the distance, intensity decreases to a quarter, and so on.

ok thanks man
^^

so if i were doing (b) would the answer be 1333.333 lux

Nul said:
so if i were doing (b) would the answer be 1333.333 lux
Yes, but you need to round off appropriately.

1. What is the Inverse Square Law?

The Inverse Square Law is a principle that states that the intensity of a physical quantity, such as light or sound, is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance from the source increases, the intensity decreases rapidly.

2. How does the Inverse Square Law apply to light?

The Inverse Square Law applies to light in the sense that as the distance from a light source increases, the amount of light that reaches a surface decreases. This is because the light spreads out in all directions, resulting in a larger surface area for the light to cover as the distance increases. Therefore, the intensity of the light decreases according to the Inverse Square Law.

3. What is the formula for the Inverse Square Law?

The formula for the Inverse Square Law is I = k/d^2, where I is the intensity of a physical quantity, k is a constant, and d is the distance from the source. This formula can be used to calculate the intensity at different distances from the source.

4. How does the Inverse Square Law affect radiation?

The Inverse Square Law applies to radiation in the sense that as the distance from a radiation source increases, the intensity of the radiation decreases. This is important in fields such as radiology, where protective measures must be taken to limit exposure to radiation based on the distance from the source.

5. Can the Inverse Square Law be applied to other physical quantities besides light and radiation?

Yes, the Inverse Square Law can be applied to other physical quantities, such as gravitational force and electric force. In these cases, the intensity would be the strength of the force, and the distance would be the distance between the two objects. The Inverse Square Law helps to explain why objects that are farther apart experience a weaker force compared to those that are closer together.