How can we produce the triple point of water?

In summary: For example, if the temperature is increased, the water will go from solid to liquid to gas. If the pressure is increased, the water will go from gas to liquid to solid.To produce the triple point, we need to have a container that can maintain a constant temperature and pressure, and then carefully adjust those values to match the triple point conditions. This can be done in a laboratory setting using specialized equipment and techniques.In summary, the triple point is the temperature and pressure at which water can exist in all three states (solid, liquid, and gas) at the same time. To produce the triple point, we need to carefully control the temperature and pressure in a container. This is important in thermodynamics as it provides a standard state for
DarkNess_wtc
i know triple point is the temp. that water's(here use water as example)

solid、liquid、gas state can be existent .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLRqpJN9zeA

the video is amazing

and so, how can he change water's state?

(solid、liquid、gas state can be existent at the same time, but how can we change its state?)

lastly, how can we produce triple point?

i'm sorry about i just have F.3 standard now

so please explain it in a simplier way.

thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
The triple point is interesting because it is the basis of a standard thermodynamic state- that is, if you have some water at the triple point, and I also have some water at the triple point, we know that our samples must be at the same temperature and pressure-something that cannot be said for any other thermodynamic state without comparing thermometers and barometers. So I can use a triple-point cell to calibrate a thermometer and barometer.

DarkNess_wtc said:
i know triple point is the temp. that water's(here use water as example)

solid、liquid、gas state can be existent .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLRqpJN9zeA

the video is amazing

and so, how can he change water's state?

(solid、liquid、gas state can be existent at the same time, but how can we change its state?)

lastly, how can we produce triple point?

i'm sorry about i just have F.3 standard now

so please explain it in a simplier way.

thank you so much!
The triple point is produced by carefully adjusting the temperature and pressure in the container to a very specific value.

By changing the temperature or pressure, the state of the system (water, alcohol, etc.) can be changed.

1. What is the triple point?

The triple point is a specific temperature and pressure at which a substance exists in equilibrium in all three phases: solid, liquid, and gas. It is the point at which the solid, liquid, and gas phases coexist and can transition between each other without changing in temperature or pressure.

2. How is the triple point determined?

The triple point is determined by conducting experiments in which the temperature and pressure of a substance are varied and measured. The point at which all three phases of the substance are in equilibrium is considered the triple point.

3. Why is the triple point important?

The triple point is important because it is a unique and defining characteristic of a substance. It allows scientists to accurately measure and define the temperature and pressure at which a substance can exist in all three phases, and it also provides a reference point for other thermodynamic measurements.

4. Can the triple point change?

Yes, the triple point can change for a substance if the external conditions, such as temperature and pressure, are altered. This can happen naturally, such as due to changes in the Earth's atmosphere, or artificially, in laboratory settings.

5. What are some examples of substances with a triple point?

Some common examples of substances with a triple point include water, carbon dioxide, and sulfur dioxide. These substances have well-defined triple points that are used as reference points in thermodynamic and phase equilibrium studies.