RF Amplification: Is it a Bad Idea?

In summary, the speaker's home is located 1.2KM away from their work and they want to use their work's internet connection at home. They have a pole available and currently have a weak signal between the rooftops, using a 200MW wifi bridge. They tried using a 1watt amplifier, recommended by a friend, to boost the signal but it made the reception and speed worse. Despite reducing the power to 100mw, the performance did not improve. They eventually got a new 1 watt bridge, which works well with dishes on both rooftops, getting a throughput of 38mbps and a full RSSI indicator. The speaker wonders if using RF amps is generally a bad idea, as the
robotnut
My home is about 1.2KM LOS from work. I want to use my work's internet connection at home. I have a pole available as well. Right now from rooftop to rooftop, I do get a signal but it's weak and goes off sometimes. I'm using a 200MW wifi bridge. So at a recommendation of a friend, I got a 1watt amplifier to stay license free. It is a 2 way amp also adding 10dbi to the receive sensitivity. The manufacturer says it's linear, giving me 1 watt with 200mw input. The issue however is that with the amp, reception and speed gets even worse... I tried reducing my power to 100mw which would reduce the output of the amps as well but no luck. The performance is worse with the amp and directional antennas than with no amp and 9db omnis.
Anyway since I haven't been able to make it work, I got a new 1 watt bridge and that works very well. I'm getting 38mbps throughput and a full RSSI indicator with dishes on both rooftops.

The question, is this a bad amp, or trying to use RF amps is generally a bad idea? It's funny how the stock 1watt bridge works like a charm, but the amplified one doesn't at all even tho they're both built around the same atheros chip. I guess a 2 way amp also amplifies noise?

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is RF amplification and how does it work?

RF amplification, or radio frequency amplification, is a process of increasing the strength of a radio frequency signal. This is achieved by using an electronic device called an amplifier, which takes in a weak RF signal and outputs a stronger one. The amplifier uses various components such as transistors, capacitors, and inductors to boost the signal's power without distorting its original form.

2. Why would someone want to use RF amplification?

RF amplification is commonly used in various communication and broadcasting systems to improve the signal's strength and quality. It allows for longer distance transmission and better reception in areas with weak signal coverage. It is also used in scientific research and medical equipment to amplify small signals for measurement and analysis.

3. Is RF amplification always a good idea?

No, RF amplification is not always a good idea and should be carefully considered before implementation. Amplifying a signal can also amplify any noise or interference present, which can negatively affect the overall signal quality. It can also cause distortion or saturation if the signal is over-amplified, leading to a loss of information. In some cases, it may be better to use alternative methods such as filtering or antenna tuning instead of amplification.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using RF amplification?

Yes, there are potential risks and drawbacks to using RF amplification. Amplifiers can generate heat and consume a significant amount of power, which can lead to equipment failure or increased energy costs. They can also introduce harmonics or unwanted frequencies into the signal, causing interference with other devices. Additionally, if not properly designed and maintained, amplifiers can contribute to electromagnetic interference (EMI) and affect nearby electronic equipment.

5. How can one mitigate the potential negative effects of RF amplification?

To mitigate the potential negative effects of RF amplification, it is important to carefully design and select the appropriate amplifier for the specific application. It is also essential to properly install and maintain the amplifier to prevent overheating and ensure proper grounding. Additionally, using high-quality components, such as filters and shielded cables, can help reduce noise and interference. Regular testing and monitoring of the amplified signal can also help identify and address any issues that may arise.