Imaginary part of dielectric constant.

In summary: F/m.In summary, the conversation covers the complex nature of permittivity in AC fields and its relationship to energy absorption and conductivity in metals. It is noted that in metals, the imaginary part of permittivity is always positive and represents loss, while the real part can be negative. The exponential decay of the imaginary part as a function of energy is explained, and it is suggested that this can be used to identify different types of materials. The units of the complex permittivity are also mentioned, being measured in F/m.
Ravian
in ac fields permittivity becomes complex quantity and has real and imaginary parts. in metals (may be few exceptions but i don't know) imaginary part is always positive and represents loss factor or energy absorbed. why the plot of imaginary part of dielectric constant as function of energy is exponentially decaying curve (it decreases with the increase in energy)?secondly img. part of dielectric constant is also related to conductivity so can we infer that energy lost to the metals appears as conductivity? but then it is directly proportional to conductivity but conductivity plots (as function of energy again) show structures. finally permittivity becomes complex because ac fields are complex or their is any other reason? i am studying electrodynamics of continuous media of landau and lifgarbagez.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would not think of the complex part of permittivity in metals as energy absobed. The reason is that even an ideal electron gas, which is non-absorptive, has a high imaginary part. In fact, absorption only occurs is both the real part n and the complex part k are both non-zero as absorption is proportional to n*k. In an ideal metal, permittivity is purely imaginary so that there is no absorption.
Second, permittivity (or better polarizability) and conductivity are up to a factor i omega identical. Take in mind that conductivity also is a complex quantity in general.
I wouldn´t say that permittivity becomes complex because AC fields become complex but because the reaction to an oscillating field is exponentially decaying in the metal.

Landau (pg 276, 2nd Ed. eq: 80.6) does say that imaginary part of dielectric fun. (e2)represents loss and almost similar arguments are used by Jackson's book. Is not absorption proportional to k only by alpha=4pi*k/lambda. non-zero k means e2 is non zero (e2=2*n*k) whick means absorption. probably in metals both n & k decrease exponentially so is e2. metals are dispersive medium so absorption and reflection does take place that is why they appear to be shiny.e2=4pi*sigma/omega where sigma is real conductivity. [img. sigma is related to real part of epsilon] what i do not understand is the shape of e2 as function of energy which is decaying exponentially. can we identify metals, semiconductors insulators just by looking at the plot of e2 vs photon energy. one more thing i.e. what are units of e2 (F/m?).

Sorry, I confused permittivity and index of refraction. You are right, if the imaginary part of epsilon (is that the e2 you are talking about) is non-zero, the substance is absorbant. However, in an ideal metal without resistance, epsilon would be real and negative, at least up to a point called plasma frequency where it becomes zero.

1. What is the imaginary part of a dielectric constant?

The imaginary part of a dielectric constant is a measure of the ability of a material to store and dissipate electrical energy under an alternating electric field.

2. How is the imaginary part of a dielectric constant different from the real part?

The real part of a dielectric constant, also known as the permittivity, measures the ability of a material to store electrical energy. The imaginary part, also known as the loss factor or the dielectric loss, measures the ability of a material to dissipate electrical energy as heat.

3. What is the significance of the imaginary part of a dielectric constant?

The imaginary part of a dielectric constant is important in understanding the behavior of materials in electrical circuits, as it affects the efficiency and performance of devices such as capacitors and insulators. It also plays a role in determining the dielectric strength of a material, which is its ability to withstand high voltage without breaking down.

4. How is the imaginary part of a dielectric constant measured?

The imaginary part of a dielectric constant can be measured using various techniques, such as dielectric spectroscopy, impedance spectroscopy, and capacitance measurements. These methods involve applying an alternating electric field to a sample of the material and measuring the resulting electrical response.

5. What factors can affect the value of the imaginary part of a dielectric constant?

The value of the imaginary part of a dielectric constant can be affected by various factors, such as the frequency and amplitude of the applied electric field, temperature, moisture content, and the composition and structure of the material. It can also vary depending on the specific measurement technique used.