Exploring Alternative Distributions in Ito's Lemma for Financial Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of Ito's lemma in Hull's derivative pricing book and the assumption that epsilon is normally distributed with a mean of zero and a variance of 1. It is suggested that the derivation may also work if epsilon was a random variable with 50-50 probability of taking values of +1 or -1. The conversation also touches on the concept of mini-epsilon and its relationship to the normal distribution. Lastly, the conversation briefly mentions the study of aeronautical engineering and a request for project ideas or support.
Iforgot
For any financial engineers here who understand Hull's derivative pricing book. I've gone through chapter 12 (Wiener Processes and Ito's Lemma, 2008 edition).

The derivation of Ito's lemma assumes epsilon is normally distributed with a mean of zero and a variance of 1. I have a hard time filling in steps with this assumption.

Would the derivation also work if epsilon was a random variable that could take on only values of +1 or -1 with 50-50 probability? It would make the filling in steps much easier.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the variance of the distribution actually delta T. What is 1 is the volatility.

I don't have Hull in front of me, but what you say makes sense. Imagine mini-epsilon that could take a value of +mini-epsilon or -mini-epsilon. Now imagine that you iterate that a large number of steps so that you get epsilon. At that point, what you get is a normal distribution with variance of epsilon.

im studying aeronautical engineering..im really interested to do some projects regarding propulsion or aerodynamics topics...i did get a guidance here..so please some one give idea or support ..

1. What is finance engineering?

Finance engineering is the application of mathematical, statistical, and computer science techniques to financial problems. It involves the use of quantitative methods to analyze and design financial products, strategies, and systems.

2. What skills are needed to become a finance engineer?

To become a finance engineer, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and computer science. Additionally, knowledge of financial markets, products, and regulations is essential. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as programming skills, are also important for this role.

3. How is finance engineering different from traditional finance?

Traditional finance focuses on the management of financial assets and liabilities, while finance engineering uses quantitative methods to design and analyze financial products and strategies. Finance engineering also involves the use of advanced mathematical and statistical techniques, which are not typically used in traditional finance.

4. What are some examples of finance engineering products?

Some examples of finance engineering products include structured products, derivative contracts, portfolio optimization strategies, and risk management systems. These products are designed and analyzed using mathematical models and algorithms to meet specific financial objectives.

5. What are the career opportunities in finance engineering?

Career opportunities in finance engineering include roles such as quantitative analyst, financial engineer, risk manager, and financial software developer. Finance engineers are in high demand in the financial industry, particularly in investment banks, hedge funds, and asset management firms.