Are there correlations for Sherwood numbers at v=0 for different surfaces?

• Thread starter McDuck
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has been struggling to find Sherwood number correlations for various surfaces, particularly for when the Reynolds number is 0 (no wind speed). They have found a correlation for spheres, but are now looking for a larger list of correlations for various surfaces, even when wind speed is 0. They have searched the internet and literature, but have not found a comprehensive list. The speaker also asks if Sherwood and Nusselt numbers for different surfaces correlate, as they could potentially use Nusselt number and switch from Prandtl number to Schmidt number to get the Sherwood number.
McDuck
Hi!

I've been trying to find Sherwood number corrolations for various surfaces, but it's been surprisingly difficult.

What I've been trying to find now is a Sherwood corrolation for flows when Reynolds number = 0 (no wind speed at all).

The case for spheres is been pleasantly easy as Sh = 2 + 0.6*Re^(0.5)*Pr^(1/3) which doesn't cause any problems when the wind speed equals zero.

Is there anyone who would know where to easily find a large list of these corrolations for various surfaces, even at v=0?

I've been searching the net for quite some time and I have also looked through quite a lot of literature. I did personally think that there would have been some list easily accessible somewhere.

edit: flat vertical and horizontal plates would be the important ones

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There doesn't seem to be a straight answer to this, but do Sherwood's and Nusselt's number for different surfaces correlate, so I would be able to use Nusselt's number and switch from Prandtl's number to Schmidt's, and that way get my Sherwood number?

1. What is a Sherwood number correlation?

A Sherwood number correlation is a mathematical relationship that describes the mass transfer rate between a solid surface and a fluid flow. It is used in heat and mass transfer calculations to determine the mass transfer coefficient.

2. How is the Sherwood number calculated?

The Sherwood number (Sh) is calculated by dividing the mass transfer coefficient by the diffusion coefficient of the fluid in question. This can be expressed as Sh = (kL/D), where kL is the mass transfer coefficient and D is the diffusion coefficient.

3. What is the significance of Sherwood number correlations?

Sherwood number correlations are important in engineering and scientific applications, particularly in the design of heat exchangers and mass transfer processes. They allow us to estimate the mass transfer rate and optimize process conditions for efficient heat and mass transfer.

4. How are Sherwood number correlations derived?

Sherwood number correlations are derived from experimental data and theoretical analysis. Researchers collect data on the mass transfer rate under different conditions and use this data to develop mathematical models that describe the relationship between the Sherwood number and relevant variables such as flow rate and geometry.

5. Are Sherwood number correlations applicable to all systems?

No, Sherwood number correlations are specific to a particular system and cannot be applied universally. The validity of a Sherwood number correlation depends on the assumptions and conditions under which it was derived. It is important to use correlations that are applicable to the specific system and conditions being studied.