Calculate Force: Torque, T = F x r

• Thread starter SunSunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the torque required to turn a barrel drum using the formula T=I x alpha or T=F x r. The speaker needs to know the torque in order to design a shaft that will act as an axle for the drum. They have calculated the angular acceleration and velocity, and are debating which formula to use. The other speakers suggest using T=I x alpha and combining the two equations to find the force. They also mention the importance of designing with a factor of safety.
SunSunny
Hi All,
Since from childhood we are reading a formula Torque,T = F x r where f is the force and r isthe radius , I want to just know in this formula how to calculate force.

My Problem:-
I got Barrel Drum whoes O.D is 762mm or 30 inches and whoes ID is 742.3 or 29.5 inches . And the Barrel Drum weight after rolling the Hyd Hose is about 1700kg and there is one shaft going through the centre of the drum and the shafts sits on two bearings on each sides.
I want to calculate the Torque required to turn this Drum should I use the formula T= Fx r or should I use another formula T= I x Alpha where I is moment of Inertia and alpha is Angular acceleration . in the formula T = F x r I don't know the value of F, how to calcu;ate F(force ) .

Can anybody help me to suggest which formula is the best in this situation.
Thanks
With Regards
Sunny

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why do you need to know the torque?

The torque is dependent on the angular acceleration and friction, so it isn't an easy thing to just calculate.

Hi Zhermes I need to design a Shaft which will act as axle to the drum that's why I need to know the Torque transmitted by the Shaft

Hi Russ I have calculated the Angular accelearation by considering the RPM of the Drum and which are initial RPM =0 final RPM = 20 then I calculated Angular velocy 2xpixN/60 then I assume the time taken for the drum to reach from 0-20 rpm would be 3 sec and then Angular accelartion comes ou to be Angular Velocity/delta T = 0.7rad/sec^2 . I have neglegted the froction values in the bearings.

So which formula is the best T=F x r or T= I x Alpha. If first formula is better then how to calculate Force F?

Thanks for both of you for replying

You need to combine the two equations to calculate force from that information.

You are way overthinking this, you don't need the 'force' as this is all rotation, should should only be using torques. T = Fr should only ever be described in terms of T.

You have the acceleration torque, which is T= I alpha. This is by FAR the largest torque the shaft will experience.

You will also have some braking torque due to component friction (ie the bearings). It's impossiblt to predict this with the information you'd given, but it's likely to be miniscule in comparison to the acceleration torque.

However, unless you are designing the shaft with a factor of safety of 1x failure stress (which you should never do) it's irrelevent. As the biggest stresses will be during acceleration, and if you design to a FOS of 2, you know you are well in with the stresses and max torsion.

To put it in maths terms.

Total T = I * alpha + Brake T

Where I*alpha >>>>> Brake T. So much so we can ignore the shaft friction altogether. So the equation we need to design to is:

T = I*alpha.

What is torque?

Torque is the measure of a force's ability to cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for calculating torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the applied force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

How is torque different from force?

Force is a push or pull applied to an object, while torque is the measure of a force's ability to cause an object to rotate around an axis. Both are measured in units of Newtons (N).

What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system. It can also be expressed in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or inch-pounds (in-lb).

What are some real-world applications of torque calculation?

Torque calculation is used in many practical applications, such as determining the force needed to tighten a bolt, measuring the strength of a motor or engine, and understanding the movements of objects in physics and engineering.