Good northeastern astronomy astrophysics programs

In summary, the individual is looking for colleges on the east coast that have strong programs in astronomy and astrophysics. They are specifically interested in colleges within a few hours of New York City and mention not being good enough for Ivy League schools. They also inquire about the potential career paths with a degree in astronomy or physics and receive recommendations for programs at Rutgers, UMass Amherst, BU, Penn State, liberal arts colleges, and NASA. They are also advised to consider NYU and SUNY-Stony Brook, which have strong astrophysics programs.
striker7770
Hi, the name really says it all, I've been looking for good colleges that focus on astronomy and astrophysics, either or. The problem is that the college search sites really are not good at deciding between a college with astronomy, and a GOOD college with astronomy, one that has research, good teachers etc.
Any college would be helpful, i want to stay close to the east coast, 4 hours away from new york city tops. and I am not good enough for the ivy leagues.

also is there any ok schools for astronomy and astrophysics, not the best, but good saftey schools

thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you planning to do with that degree? There's not a lot you can do without a PhD in astronomy or physics, and frankly a physics major would be the best preparation you can get - you don't need a separate astronomy or astrophysics major. A physics major with classes in astronomy, math, and computer science would prepare you for either physics or astronomy grad programs. And you can study physics almost anywhere. Good programs within a few hours of NYC would be Rutgers, UMass Amherst, BU, Penn State, and a whole bunch of liberal arts colleges. Those often give you the opportunity to start research early, so don't discount them.

i was thinking of going to join a government program, NASA, etc.

There are 12 colleges in your area that offer a MS or higher in astronomy, indicating that their undergrad programs are at least moderately strong. (Although in some cases, their undergrad degrees are in physics). Seven are Ivies.

The remaining 5 are Boston University, Penn State, U Mass, Maryland and Wesleyan. Wesleyan does not have a PhD program.

You might also look at NYU and SUNY-Stony Brook. Both have good astrophysics programs.

phyzguy said:
You might also look at NYU and SUNY-Stony Brook. Both have good astrophysics programs.

I second this. I know a few students at Stony Brook who study Astronomy and they are extremely happy there. Also, I've heard only good things about NYU's physics and astronomy programs -- though I believe they only offer astronomy at the graduate level. Check into it though, they're both great schools.

1. What are some of the top universities for studying astronomy and astrophysics in the northeastern United States?

Some of the top universities in the northeastern US for studying astronomy and astrophysics include Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Yale University, Columbia University, and Cornell University.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a good astronomy and astrophysics program in the northeastern US?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a program include the faculty and their areas of research, available resources and facilities, opportunities for hands-on experience, and the overall reputation and ranking of the university.

3. Are there any specialized areas of study within astronomy and astrophysics offered by northeastern universities?

Yes, many universities in the northeast offer specialized areas of study such as planetary science, cosmology, astrophysical instrumentation, and astrobiology.

4. What kind of research opportunities are available for students in northeastern astronomy and astrophysics programs?

Many universities in the northeast have active research programs in astronomy and astrophysics, providing students with opportunities to work with faculty on cutting-edge research projects. Some programs also offer summer research internships and research assistant positions.

5. Can I pursue a career in astronomy and astrophysics with a degree from a northeastern university?

Yes, a degree from a reputable astronomy and astrophysics program in the northeast can lead to a variety of career opportunities in academia, research institutions, observatories, and the private sector. It also provides a strong foundation for further studies at the graduate level.