Is Newtonian Mechanics more general than Hamiltonian Mechanics?

In summary, Newtonian Mechanics is considered more general than Hamiltonian Mechanics due to its ability to describe a wider range of physical systems and phenomena. While Hamiltonian Mechanics is more mathematically elegant and allows for a more comprehensive understanding of a system's energy, it is limited in its applicability to certain complex systems. Newtonian Mechanics, on the other hand, can accurately describe the motion of objects in both small and large scales, making it a more versatile and widely applicable theory. However, both theories have their own strengths and are essential in understanding the dynamics of the physical world.
nonequilibrium
Apparently things like the Lorentz' force can't be handled as a hamiltonian system. I heard other people describe the hamiltonian mechanics as an equivalent characterization of classical mechanics, but this is wrong, then?

Physics news on Phys.org
mr. vodka said:
Apparently things like the Lorentz' force can't be handled as a hamiltonian system.

Where did you hear that?

If I didn't drop a minus sign,

[tex]L = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 - q\phi + \frac{1}{c}q({\mathbf v} \cdot {\mathbf A})[/tex]

Oh, my apologies, I interpreted "In physics and classical mechanics, a Hamiltonian system is a physical system in which forces are momentum invariant." (wikipedia) as meaning that the force can't be dependent on the speed of a particle... What does the quoted sentence say?

That statement is strange, but let me guess what they are trying to say. The Hamiltonian is not equal to the total energy of the system when the force depends on the spatial derivative. The system can however still be described with a Hamiltonian, you just have to use the real definition and not H = T + V.

Much appreciated. The weird thing is: I've read a (serious) article where they were working with what looked like classical systems (no relativity, quantum mechanics) but stated that they weren't hamiltonian systems, because the Theorem of Liouville (a certain theorem proven for hamiltonian systems) didn't apply to their systems, thus proving it wasn't a hamiltonian system by reductio ad absurdum. Is this plausible? Are there such classical systems? Or do you need to go to quantum mechanics for it to "stop working"?

1. Is Newtonian Mechanics more general than Hamiltonian Mechanics?

No, Hamiltonian Mechanics is more general than Newtonian Mechanics. Hamiltonian Mechanics is a more advanced and comprehensive theory that can be applied to a wider range of systems, including those with nonlinear dynamics and constraints.

2. What are the main differences between Newtonian Mechanics and Hamiltonian Mechanics?

The main difference between the two is their fundamental principles. Newtonian Mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion, while Hamiltonian Mechanics is based on the principle of least action. Additionally, Hamiltonian Mechanics includes the concept of Hamiltonian functions, which are not present in Newtonian Mechanics.

3. Can Hamiltonian Mechanics be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, Hamiltonian Mechanics can be applied to all physical systems, including classical and quantum systems. It is a more general and powerful framework that can be used to describe a wide range of phenomena in physics, such as particles, fluids, and fields.

4. Do Newtonian Mechanics and Hamiltonian Mechanics always give the same predictions?

No, they do not always give the same predictions. In some cases, the predictions of Newtonian Mechanics and Hamiltonian Mechanics may differ due to the different fundamental principles and mathematical approaches used in each theory. However, in most cases, the predictions of the two theories are very similar.

5. Is Hamiltonian Mechanics more mathematically complex than Newtonian Mechanics?

Yes, Hamiltonian Mechanics is more mathematically complex than Newtonian Mechanics. It involves more advanced mathematical concepts, such as Hamiltonian functions and the Hamiltonian formalism, which can be challenging to understand and apply. However, the increased complexity allows for a more comprehensive and powerful description of physical systems.