Calc moment of a hydraulic piston?

In summary, the ladder has a weight of 182.34 kg and it exerts a 2000 N force on the ladder at B in the direction parallel to the piston. The force at point C is -182.34 kg.
sf2k

Homework Statement

Working through 5.17 problem in Bedford 5th edition (Engineering Statics) p214

"The hydraulic piston AB exerts a 2000 N force on the ladder at B in the direction parallel to the piston. Determine the weight of the ladder and the reactions at C."

piston between A and B on an angle theta.
point C is further away from A and B by 1 metre along the base.

1m height from A->B or C->B
2m distance between base A->B
1m distance between base B->C
2m distance between the centre Weight of the ladder and the end point C

Homework Equations

Tan -1(opp/adj) gives the angle of force for C(x) and C(y).
forces on the x plane are cos theta
forces on the y plane are sin theta
F = ma using 9.81 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Sum of F(x) = C(x) + (2000/9.81) cos theta = 0

since base between A and B is 2 and height is 1 thus tan -1 (1/2) = 26.57 degrees

Sum of F(x) = C(x) + 203.87 cos 26.57 = 0
C(x) + 182.34 = 0
C(x) = -182.34 kgSum of F(y) = C(y) + 203.87 sin 26.57 - W = 0

The W force counters the C(y) force so I subtracted.
Don't know how to calculate C(y).

Sum of M(c) = ??

not sure how to calculate the moment at C nor solve for W.So I"m missing concepts from class in terms of when to solve for what and why. I have seen the answers for it so it's not a question of getting an answer. But I'm not following what to do for myself and I want to understand what is going on, what the moment is at C, and how to calculate it out.

Thanks for any advice or attempts at improving my understanding.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sf2k: Can you post a diagram, or give the (x, y) coordinates of each point? Make up a letter for all points that do not already have a label. Let's call the centroid of the ladder point D, and the lower end of the ladder point E (?). E.g., if point B is arbitrarily chosen as the origin, let me see if I understand your diagram. In units of metres, the coordinates would be B(0, 0), C(1, 1), A(-2, -1), D(-1, -1)? But what are the coordinates of point E? And what is touching points A, C, and E? I.e., what are the boundary conditions, meaning what are the supports around your structure, which apply the reaction forces?

Here's the ladder problem with image attached. Also another problem with just image. (Solve for moment at B). Oddly the ladder prob is more complex but the second problem shows I don't really know the process.

I don't know what is is about Moment that I keep forgetting. I think we can flush it out though between these two examples and figure our where the holes are in my understanding. This could then help others in similar straits.

Attachments

• ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 588
  • prob1.jpg
    prob1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
For your second problem, could you define what you think the "bending moment at a section" is?

Not sure. It's confusing since it looks like at C the pole is compressing upwards and outwards since the force it at an angle upwards at 40N and outwards at 48N. So I'll guess the component at B(y) of (1.2)(40)sin45 up and B(x) of 48N to match C(x).

sf2k: For your second problem, your answer for Bx is correct. Your answer for By is currently incorrect. One thing that appears to be missing is a free-body diagram. You posted a diagram of the given structure; but any time you need to solve for forces and moments at a support or at an internal section cut, you must draw a free-body diagram, which means you must draw the unknown reaction forces, or unknown forces and moments at the section cut. Then you use equilibrium equations to solve for the unknown forces and moments.

E.g., make a section cut at point B, and analyze only member BC. At the section cut, draw the unknown forces and moment acting on the section cut. Go ahead and do it. After you draw it, write the equilibrium equations only for the sectioned-off structure, member BC. Now solve the equilibrium equations, and it will give you the forces and moment at the section cut at point B. Use the right-hand rule for moments, and say anticlockwise moments are positive. Show your work, and someone can check your math. Also, see the last paragraph of post https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2946515".

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of a hydraulic piston?

The formula for calculating the moment of a hydraulic piston is: moment = force x distance, where force is the hydraulic pressure and distance is the length of the piston arm or lever.

2. How do you measure the force of a hydraulic piston?

The force of a hydraulic piston can be measured using a pressure gauge or load cell, which measures the amount of hydraulic pressure being applied to the piston.

3. What factors can affect the moment of a hydraulic piston?

The moment of a hydraulic piston can be affected by several factors, including the hydraulic pressure, length of the piston arm or lever, and any external forces acting on the piston such as friction or gravity.

4. Can the moment of a hydraulic piston be negative?

Yes, the moment of a hydraulic piston can be negative if the force applied by the hydraulic pressure is in the opposite direction of the movement of the piston arm or lever.

5. How is the moment of a hydraulic piston used in real-world applications?

The moment of a hydraulic piston is used in various real-world applications, such as in hydraulic cranes, excavators, and other heavy machinery. It helps to determine the lifting capacity and stability of these machines.