What is the formula for calculating G_T in line-of-sight antennas?

In summary, a 100mW transmitter at 4GHz using antennas of 0.5m^2 effective area will generate a received power level of -10 dBm.
bos1234

Homework Statement

In terrestrial microwave link, line-of-sight transmission limits the separation of transmitters and receivers to about 40km. If a 100mW transmitter at 4GHz is used with transmitting and receiving antennas of 0.5m^2 effective area, what is the received power level in dBm?

Homework Equations

I think this is the equation to use
[tex]P_{r}=P_{T}+G_{R}+G_{T}-L_{P}[/tex]

P_t is given and G_R and L_P can be found. However, I am having trouble finding G_T?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is not the G_T related to the spread angle of the microwave beam. If all the P_T is concentrated in a beam instead of a sphere, the gain should be approximately equal to the reciprocal of cross section of the beam versus the area of the a sphere at the same radius.

thanks for the reply. I've attached a copy of my working out. I stated in my original post that L_p was found, however, it is only the free space loss of two isotropic antennas

fxyp8g.jpg

I think I follow your arithmetic but I'm not always sure why you are doing what you're doing.
1. 100 x 10^3 (100 mW) = -10 dBW not dB. However the answer is supposed to be in dBm.

2. Farther down you have L_P = (4 * pi * R / x)^2 What is x or is that lambda?

3. Above that you have G_T = (4 * pi * (R_RX)^2) / (pi * (R_TX)^2) How did you get that formula?

4. Are you assuming there is no spread in the antenna pattern over 40 km?

Hi
1. Sorry its dbW. I will change to dbm later this is not a issue

2.free space loss formula. Sorry about the writing. So I can find this out by substituting the appropriate values i.e. R is the distance between the 2 antennas and lamda can be caluclated since frequency and speed of light are known

3.This formula I sort of made up. There was a similar question posted by me in this thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=441793

I treated the satellite as the receiver, and the Earth as the transmitter. So numerator is the suraface area of the receiver whilst denominator is the cross-sectional area of the transmitter.

4. Yes I'm assuming no spread

Am I on the right track or not? I think the problem is with G_t and G_r?

3. I thought the formula might be related to the free space loss formula but then it would be 16 * pi^2 * R^2... This is what confused me.

4. From the information given I don't know how to calculate G_T and G_R. There is a formula, though I don't know it, that relates parabolic antenna diameter in wavelengths to beam spread. That's what I thought this problem was about. If I remember correctly in order to get a 1 deg spread, the antenna has to be about 10 wavelengths in diameter. Once you have the formula, then the loss would amount to what part of the cross sectional area of the transmitted beam does the receive antenna intercept at the distance given.

1. What is a line of sight antenna?

A line of sight antenna is a type of antenna that must have a direct, unobstructed path to the receiving antenna in order to successfully transmit and receive signals.

2. How does a line of sight antenna work?

A line of sight antenna works by transmitting and receiving signals in a straight line, without any interference or obstruction. It uses radio waves to send and receive information through the air.

3. What are the advantages of using a line of sight antenna?

The main advantage of using a line of sight antenna is its ability to transmit and receive signals over long distances with minimal interference. This makes it ideal for applications such as long-range communication, wireless internet, and satellite television.

4. What are the limitations of a line of sight antenna?

The main limitation of a line of sight antenna is that it requires a clear, unobstructed path between the transmitting and receiving antennas. This means that it may not be suitable for use in areas with tall buildings, mountains, or other physical barriers.

5. What factors affect the performance of a line of sight antenna?

The performance of a line of sight antenna can be affected by various factors, including antenna height, frequency, weather conditions, and the presence of any obstacles in the path of the signal. Additionally, the quality and design of the antenna itself can also impact its performance.