MATLAB reading in figure matrices

In summary, to read in a figure matrix in MATLAB, use the "imread" function and specify the file format. To display the figure matrix, use the "imshow" function. Multiple figure matrices can be read in at once using the "imread" function with multiple file names. After reading in the figure matrix, it can be manipulated using various built-in functions such as "imresize", "imfilter", and "rgb2gray". Refer to the documentation for more details on image processing in MATLAB.
Klandhee
Hi, I have a bunch of images saved as .fig and I need to obtain the data in these files. I tried something as simple as
image1 = imread('figure1.fig');
but it does not recognize the format. If anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
imread won't work because a .fig is not exactly an image file.Try:

"open('figure1.fig')"

That will load up the entire image. I don't know if it's possible to get the original data used to plot the graphs though.

1. How do I read in a figure matrix in MATLAB?

To read in a figure matrix in MATLAB, you can use the "imread" function. This function reads an image file and stores it as a matrix in MATLAB. For example, if your figure is named "figure.png", you can use the command "A = imread('figure.png');" to read it into the variable "A".

2. Can I specify the file format when reading in a figure matrix?

Yes, you can specify the file format when using the "imread" function in MATLAB. For example, if your figure is a .jpg file, you can use the command "A = imread('figure.jpg');" to read it in. MATLAB also supports other common image formats such as .png, .gif, and .bmp.

3. How can I display the figure matrix after reading it in?

To display the figure matrix in MATLAB, you can use the "imshow" function. This function takes in the matrix as an input and displays it as an image. For example, if your figure matrix is stored in the variable "A", you can use the command "imshow(A);" to display it.

4. Is it possible to read in multiple figure matrices at once?

Yes, it is possible to read in multiple figure matrices at once in MATLAB. You can use the "imread" function with multiple file names as inputs, separated by commas. For example, if you have three figures named "figure1.png", "figure2.png", and "figure3.png", you can use the command "A = imread('figure1.png', 'figure2.png', 'figure3.png');" to read them all in at once.

5. How can I manipulate the figure matrix after reading it in?

Once you have read in the figure matrix in MATLAB, you can manipulate it using various built-in functions. For example, you can resize the figure using the "imresize" function, apply filters using the "imfilter" function, or convert it to grayscale using the "rgb2gray" function. There are many other functions available for image processing in MATLAB, so it is recommended to refer to the documentation for more details.