Why is output impedance of op amp zero?

In summary, op-amps have a low output impedance because of the use of negative feedback, which compensates for variations in the load. This allows them to convert small signals into larger ones. The output stage of op-amps typically consists of large transistors that can source a significant amount of current. This is evident in the internal schematic of the 741 op-amp, where the output pin is connected to two transistors through 25 ohm resistors. This enables op-amps to drive large loads such as loudspeakers, motors, and long cable runs.
mathman44

Homework Statement

Hi. Just like the title says, why is the output impedance of an op-amp so small?

(as in physically, I understand why a low output impedance is a desirable characteristic)

Physics news on Phys.org
Which opamp? The one's I spot checked are in the 100's of ohms...

Op amps in general have very low output impedance though..

I would still consider 100 ohms to be small. Can anyone explain why output impedances of op-amps are as small as they are?

Anyone?

Do you mean why are they small? So you can source a lot of current from them and so drive large loads, such as loudspeakers/motors/long cable runs.

Or How are they small? It's based on having a small resistance transistor (eg a FET) in the output

I mean "how" they're small (physically). Could you elaborate please? I can't seem to get any results from google on this topic.

Usually opamps use a lot of negative feedback. Negative feedback lowers the output impedance because it compensates for variations in the load.

I'm still a little unclear on the actual question. Basically the output impedance is low because that's what amplifiers do...they "convert" a small signal into a larger one and I suppose the ratio of input to output impedance could be one measure of such.

By "physically small" I'm guessing you don't mean inches and microns, but "resistance" wise. If that's the case, all(?) opamps have an output stage made of a couple of relatively large transistors that can source a (relatively) large amount of current.

For instance look at the internal schematic for the 741 opamp on page 4 of this datasheet:

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM741.pdf

On the right side is the output pin connected to two transistors (Q14, Q20) through 25 ohm resistors. These transistors are "turned on" by the preceding circuitry and supply power to whatever is connected to the output...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is the output impedance of an op amp considered to be zero?

The output impedance of an op amp is considered to be zero because of the principle of virtual short. This means that the output voltage of an op amp will be equal to the difference between the two input voltages, regardless of the load connected to the output. Essentially, the op amp acts as a voltage follower, providing a low impedance output that is unaffected by changes in the load impedance.

2. How does the zero output impedance of an op amp affect its performance?

The zero output impedance of an op amp allows it to function as an ideal voltage source. This means that the output voltage will not be affected by variations in the load impedance, making it suitable for a wide range of applications. It also allows for easy cascading of multiple op amps without introducing additional loading effects.

3. Can the output impedance of an op amp ever be non-zero?

In theory, the output impedance of an op amp is always zero. However, in reality, there will be some small parasitic resistances and capacitances within the op amp that can affect its performance. These can be minimized through careful design and layout techniques, but they will never be completely eliminated.

4. What are the benefits of having a zero output impedance in an op amp?

Having a zero output impedance in an op amp allows for precise and accurate voltage control, making it useful in applications such as signal amplification, filtering, and signal conditioning. It also allows for the use of negative feedback to control the gain and stability of the op amp, making it a versatile and reliable component in electronic circuits.

5. How can the zero output impedance of an op amp be verified experimentally?

The zero output impedance of an op amp can be verified experimentally by measuring the output voltage with different load impedances and observing that it remains constant. This can be done using a multimeter or an oscilloscope. Additionally, the output impedance can be calculated by measuring the output voltage and current and using Ohm's law (Z = V/I). A lower output impedance value indicates a closer approximation to zero output impedance.