Phase and Bode Plots: Struggling to Understand High-Pass Filters

Use the formula Φ = tan^-1(B/A) to find the phase, where A = |G| and B = Im(G). Alternatively, you can use the formula tan(Φ) = Im(G)/Re(G) to find the phase. Remember that for a high-pass filter, the phase will approach 90 degrees as the frequency approaches infinity. In summary, to draw a phase plot for circuits such as low/high-pass filters and other LCR circuits, you can use equations such as tan(Φ) = Im(G)/Re(G) or Φ = tan^-1(B/A) to find the phase, where A and B are components of the polar form of the gain.
revival

Homework Statement

I am really struggling to understand how to draw a phase plot for circuits such as low/high-pass filters and other LCR circuits. I understand how to find the gain and use this information to make a Bode plot but when it comes to phase I just don't even know where to begin.
My notes seem to indicate some sort of equation along the lines of tan(phi)= tani^-1[tan(something) -tan(something)] but I haven't a clue what the 'somethings' are.

Homework Equations

If I take a simple high pass filter... G= jwCR/(1+jwCR).. how can I find the phase from this, help!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by expressing the numerator and denominator in polar form re. Then you can easily find G in polar form.

1. What is a phase plot?

A phase plot is a graph that shows the relationship between the input and output phases of a system. It is commonly used in signal processing to analyze the frequency response of a system.

2. What is a Bode plot?

A Bode plot is a graph that shows the frequency response of a system. It consists of two plots - one for the magnitude response and one for the phase response. It is commonly used to analyze the behavior of filters and amplifiers.

3. How do high-pass filters work?

High-pass filters allow high-frequency signals to pass through while attenuating low-frequency signals. They are made up of a resistor and capacitor in series, and the cutoff frequency is determined by the values of these components.

4. Why are phase and Bode plots important in understanding high-pass filters?

Phase and Bode plots provide a visual representation of the frequency response of a high-pass filter. They show how the filter affects different frequencies and can help in understanding the behavior of the filter at different cutoff frequencies.

5. How can I use phase and Bode plots to design a high-pass filter?

By analyzing the phase and Bode plots, you can determine the cutoff frequency and design a high-pass filter with the desired frequency response. You can also use these plots to compare different filter designs and choose the one that best suits your needs.