Which is More Polar: Ethyl Acetate or Nitrobutane?

In summary, the question is asking about the polarity of ethyl acetate and nitrobutane, and which one is more polar. The answer is that nitrobutane is more polar due to its ability to form an aci type structure. This can be confirmed by running a TLC in different solvents and observing the Rf values. Nitro compounds are generally more polar due to the presence of the strong electron drawing group NO2.
freedom856
i was wondering the polarity of ethyl acetate and nitrobutane, which one is more polar?
As i face this question in test(liquid chromatography using normal phase and reverse phase)
Asking for the elution order, i am not sure which one is more polar? Can anyone answer my question? Also, if i face this kind of question again, what can i do? Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would say that the nitroalkane is more polar as it can form an aci type structure.

R-CH2-NO2 <-------> R-CH=NO2H

chemisttree said:
I would say that the nitroalkane is more polar as it can form an aci type structure.

R-CH2-NO2 <-------> R-CH=NO2H

Well, so can the ester CH3CO2Et <-> CH2=C(OH)OEt, so I doubt that's the full story. Perhaps take a reasonably polar compound and see what kind of an Rf you get on TLC with pure ester and nitroalkane each as solvent, as a first approximation?

Sorry.It is not TLC. It is HPLC. i do remember the question does not state what solvent is used

I appreciate what you're saying, but you can get a measure of solvent polarity from Rfs on TLC (I know it's a different stationary phase). Imagine running a TLC in pure hexane, your compound will hardly move as the interaction with the silica (or other phase, e.g. alumina) and your compound is much greater than between compound and solvent. Now, if you run the same compound in EtOAc, or DCM, or similar, then the Rf would be greater as the polarity is greater..? (Or am I totally confused here?)

your answer is correct if i run TLC once and i can find the answer, but the problem is i only sit in the classroom and answer this question. How can i run TLC to determine their polarity? i really request a way to solve this kind of problem.

My guess would be nitrobutane as it's actually two ions (notwithstanding resonance structures). Ethyl acetate might have one less carbon moiety, but the hydrophilicity of two charged atoms outweighs the hydrophobicity of one methyl group.

sjb-2812 said:
Well, so can the ester CH3CO2Et <-> CH2=C(OH)OEt, so I doubt that's the full story. Perhaps take a reasonably polar compound and see what kind of an Rf you get on TLC with pure ester and nitroalkane each as solvent, as a first approximation?

Trust me. It's enough of the story to get the question right. TLC will give you the same ranking but how will you visualize the spot?

http://books.google.com/books?id=HN...AA#v=onepage&q=nitroalkanes polarity&f=false" Some things you just have to remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say the nitro compound is more polar because NO2 is a very strong electron drawing group.

What is the definition of polarity in organic compounds?

Polarity in organic compounds refers to the unequal distribution of electrons within a molecule, resulting in a partial positive charge on one end and a partial negative charge on the other end.

What factors affect the polarity of an organic compound?

The polarity of an organic compound is affected by the electronegativity difference between atoms, the shape of the molecule, and the presence of functional groups such as hydroxyl (-OH) or amino (-NH2) groups.

Why is the polarity of an organic compound important?

The polarity of an organic compound determines its physical and chemical properties, such as solubility, boiling point, and reactivity. It also plays a crucial role in biological processes, as polar compounds can interact with polar molecules in the body.

How is the polarity of an organic compound determined?

The polarity of an organic compound is determined by using various experimental techniques, such as measuring the dipole moment or conducting chromatography. The electronegativity values of the atoms in the molecule can also be used to predict its polarity.

What are some examples of polar and nonpolar organic compounds?

Water (H2O) is a polar organic compound, while methane (CH4) is a nonpolar organic compound. Other examples of polar organic compounds include alcohols, carboxylic acids, and amines, while nonpolar organic compounds include alkanes and alkynes.