Is the Schwarzchild Metric Accurate in Predicting Black Holes?

In summary, the current researcher from my university said that the r term in the schwarzchild metric should actually be r->(r^3+a^3)^(1/3) where a = 2GM/c^2. As you see the a term is quite small (G=gravitation constant and c is the speed of light). My understanding of the majority of his talk was a bit shakey but he didnt seem like a nut as there were a few other professors attending the lecture also and they couldn't point out any flaws in his argument. He reckons that no one else has pointed this mistake out yet and has submitted his report to be published in a journal.
jimbo007
hi
recently i attended a lecture where a current researcher from my university was talking about black holes and the schwarzchild metric. basically he was saying no current theory predicts black holes and the schwarzchild solution is not actually correct, his solution was accepted because apparently he was a highly influential mathematician.
he said that the r term in the schwarzchild metric should actually be
r->(r^3+a^3)^(1/3) where a = 2GM/c^2
as you see the a term is quite small (G=gravitation constant and c is the speed of light).
my understanding of the majority of his talk was a bit shakey but he didnt seem like a nut as there were a few other professors attending the lecture also and they couldn't point out any flaws in his argument.
he reckons that no one else has pointed this mistake out yet and has submitted his report to be published in a journal.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimbo007 said:
hi
recently i attended a lecture where a current researcher from my university was talking about black holes and the schwarzchild metric. basically he was saying no current theory predicts black holes and the schwarzchild solution is not actually correct, his solution was accepted because apparently he was a highly influential mathematician.
he said that the r term in the schwarzchild metric should actually be
r->(r^3+a^3)^(1/3) where a = 2GM/c^2
as you see the a term is quite small (G=gravitation constant and c is the speed of light).
my understanding of the majority of his talk was a bit shakey but he didnt seem like a nut as there were a few other professors attending the lecture also and they couldn't point out any flaws in his argument.
he reckons that no one else has pointed this mistake out yet and has submitted his report to be published in a journal.

1) Which journal?

2) Assuming you're presenting that correctly then the r term reduces to r for flat space time, which is wrong. It should reduce to 1, the value for the minkowski metric. Just to check you're saying that according to him it should be:
[tex]
\left( \begin{array}{cccc}-(1-\frac{2M}{r}) & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & r^2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & r^2sin^2(\theta) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & (r^3 + (\frac{2GM}{c^2})^3)^(1/3) \end{array} \right)
[/tex]

Which means that for space far removed from any source of mass, i.e., falt space time we get:
[tex]
\left( \begin{array}{cccc} -1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & r^2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & r^2sin^2(\theta) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & r \end{array}\right)
[/tex]

Which is not the Minkowski metric, however we know, from all the experimental verification of SR that the minkowksi metric is valid, so he cannot be right. There are problems with relativity, but not those kinds. The very fact that this guy claimed the Scwarzschild's solution was only accepted because of his personal influence is very big crackpot give away.

Last edited:
I think he meant:

[tex]
\left( \begin{array}{cccc}1-( \frac{2MG}{c^2 (r^3 + (\frac{2GM}{c^2})^3)^{1/3}}) & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -(1-\frac{2MG}{c^2 (r^3 + (\frac{2GM}{c^2})^3)^{1/3}})^{-1} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -(r^3 + (\frac{2GM}{c^2})^3)^{2/3} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & -(r^3 + (\frac{2GM}{c^2})^3)^{2/3} sin( \theta )^2 \end{array} \right)
[/tex]

So everywhere in the Schwarzschild metric replace r with the new r.

This does yield the flat metric for large r. It also means a correction to Newtons law yielding a potential V=MG/(r^3+2GM/c^2)^(1/3). The metric is still spherically symmetric. I can't find any reason why this cannot be correct.

It is correct that this solution has no r for which a term diverges (only r=0) so it would does not automatically imples a black hole.

I would like to see why the original solution cannot be correct, or why this one is better, so I'm also interested in the article...But I'm not sure this resultobey's Einsteins field equations. Anybody an idea?

Last edited:
I have just checked it, it does not satisfy the Einstein's field equations: [tex] R_{\mu\nu}=0[/tex].

Kenneth

I guess the problem is solved then...

1. What is the Schwarzschild metric?

The Schwarzschild metric is a mathematical equation that describes the curvature of space-time around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. It is used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the gravitational field of a single massive object, such as a star or a black hole.

2. What causes errors in the Schwarzschild metric?

The Schwarzschild metric is based on certain assumptions and simplifications, such as the absence of external forces and the spherical symmetry of the mass. Any deviations from these assumptions, such as the presence of other masses or non-spherical shapes, can cause errors in the metric's predictions.

3. How do errors in the Schwarzschild metric affect our understanding of black holes?

Errors in the Schwarzschild metric can affect our understanding of black holes by changing the predicted properties and behavior of these objects. For example, errors may impact the predicted size of a black hole's event horizon or the strength of its gravitational pull.

4. Can errors in the Schwarzschild metric be corrected?

Yes, errors in the Schwarzschild metric can be corrected by taking into account additional factors or using more complex equations. However, this may lead to a more complicated and less accurate representation of the true nature of space-time around a massive object.

5. How do scientists account for errors in the Schwarzschild metric in their research?

Scientists account for errors in the Schwarzschild metric by using multiple metrics and considering a range of possible scenarios when studying the effects of gravity on objects. They also continually test and refine their understanding of gravity and the laws of physics to improve the accuracy of their predictions.