Where can I find experimental data

In summary, experimental data can be found in various sources such as scientific journals, government databases, and research institutes. These data are collected through controlled experiments and observations, and are used to support or refute scientific hypotheses. Some examples of popular sources for experimental data include PubMed, NASA's Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS), and the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) databases. Additionally, some universities and research institutions may have their own databases or repositories for sharing experimental data publicly. It is important to properly cite and reference these sources when using experimental data in research or academic work.
Appledave
Does anyone know where I can find experimental data on the life time of charged pion decay? More specifically the life time of a negatively charged pion decaying into either an electron and an electron neutrino or into a muon and a muon neutrino.

Physics news on Phys.org
Appledave said:
Does anyone know where I can find experimental data on the life time of charged pion decay? More specifically the life time of a negatively charged pion decaying into either an electron and an electron neutrino or into a muon and a muon neutrino.

The best place to start is at the Particle Data Group website at http://pdglive.lbl.gov Charged pion data, including lifetime and branching ratios, are at http://pdglive.lbl.gov/Rsummary.brl?nodein=S008&exp=Y&sub=Yr&return=MXXX005 The section references are in a link at the top RHS of that page, as well as in the pdf that you can download by following the Particle Listings link on the main PDG page.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I get the life-time for the decay from http://pdglive.lbl.gov/Rsummary.brl?...return=MXXX005? All I could see was the probability for each type of decay and the mean life time for the pion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The probability for each decay mode is expressed in terms of the branching ratio [tex]\Gamma_i/\Gamma[/tex], where [tex]\Gamma_i[/tex] is the partial decay rate for the specific process and

[tex]\Gamma = \sum_i \Gamma_i[/tex]

is the total decay rate. The mean lifetime is [tex]\tau = 1/\Gamma[/tex].

It is possible to define a partial lifetime [tex]\tau_i = 1/\Gamma_i[/tex] for each decay mode. This doesn't really have the same significance as a mean lifetime, because all of the decay modes compete. So whereas we can define a total half-life

[tex]\tau_{1/2} = \tau \ln 2[/tex]

as the time it takes for half of the pions in a sample to decay, a quantity like

[tex]\tau_{e^+\nu_e} \ln 2[/tex]

doesn't really correspond to the time it takes for half of a sample of [tex]\pi^+[/tex] to decay to positrons, since over that period of time, most of the sample will have instead decayed to muons.

1. Where can I find experimental data?

There are multiple sources where you can find experimental data, such as online databases, research articles, and data repositories. You can also contact researchers directly to request data or check if they have made their data available.

2. How can I access experimental data?

Many online databases and data repositories provide free access to experimental data. Some may require registration or a subscription, while others may have a fee for accessing data. Additionally, data from research articles can often be accessed through the journal's website or by contacting the authors.

3. What types of experimental data can I find?

Experimental data can vary depending on the field of study and the specific experiment. Some common types of experimental data include numerical data (e.g. measurements, statistics), visual data (e.g. images, videos), and textual data (e.g. survey responses, interview transcripts).

4. How do I know if the experimental data is reliable?

When accessing experimental data, it is important to consider the source and the methodology used to collect the data. Look for data that has been peer-reviewed or has been published in reputable journals. You can also check for any potential biases or limitations in the data collection process.

5. Can I use experimental data for my own research?

In most cases, experimental data can be used for further research as long as proper credit is given to the original source. However, it is important to check for any restrictions or licenses associated with the data and to follow ethical guidelines for data usage and sharing.