Optimizing Wire Gauge for Maximum Amperage in Automotive Circuits

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on what gauge wire to use for their car's power supply, as they are unsure of the amperage rating of a blown relay and previous rewiring by the previous owner. They are advised to use a 6-gauge wire and to ensure that the material used is suitable for an engine bay environment. It is also recommended to play it safe due to the lower voltage in automotive systems.
sasilverbulle
My cars factory wire diagram is not that helpful - If a wire is feeding a terminal block that supplies 12v to a 20amp circuit (power windows) and the other is a 30amp circuit (A/C), and the possibility exists for both circuits to be drawing max amperage, shouldn't that main supply wire be able to carry 50amps? If so, what gauge wire should I use? (8 or six?)

Thanks folks! :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
sasilverbulle said:
My cars factory wire diagram is not that helpful - If a wire is feeding a terminal block that supplies 12v to a 20amp circuit (power windows) and the other is a 30amp circuit (A/C), and the possibility exists for both circuits to be drawing max amperage, shouldn't that main supply wire be able to carry 50amps? If so, what gauge wire should I use? (8 or six?)

Thanks folks! :)

Why are you re-wiring your car?

It's my 40 year old 70 Lincoln Mk III...and I had a relay blow and I can't find any literature on what was the amperage rating of the relay. Also, the previous owner of the car replaced a lot of the wiring in the engine compartment due to a small engine fire. So I'm not 100% sure the supply wire is even the correct gauge.

I would use 6-gauge. If you don't know exactly how it works, better to play it safe.

I've (re)wired cars before, and one thing I can tell you is that the material protecting it is just as important as the electrical ratings. It will likely have to endure water, high temperatures, bits of salt and dirt hitting it occasionally. Make sure you buy stuff that is designated for use in engine bays.

Most of the time neither circuit will draw near what it is protected with for a fuse. It's of course always wise to play it safe. Especially in automotive, where there is only 12 volts to start with. Losing X volts in a residential circuit on a 120 volt supply due to voltage loss when passing 10 amperes is one thing. But 10 amperes flowing in the same wire on a 12 volt system will drop just as much voltage and we have less to start with.

1. What is amperage?

Amperage, also known as electric current, is a measure of the rate at which electric charge flows through a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is dependent on the voltage and resistance of the circuit.

2. How is amperage related to wire?

Amperage is related to wire as it determines the amount of current that can safely flow through the wire without causing damage. Wires are designed to handle a certain amperage and using a higher amperage can cause overheating and potential hazards.

3. What factors affect the amperage in a wire?

The amperage in a wire is affected by the voltage of the circuit, the resistance of the wire, and the type and thickness of the wire. A higher voltage or a thinner wire will result in a higher amperage, while a higher resistance will result in a lower amperage.

4. Can I change the amperage in a wire?

No, the amperage in a wire is determined by the circuit and the wire itself. It cannot be changed unless the voltage or resistance in the circuit is altered. Using a lower or higher amperage than recommended for a wire can be dangerous and cause damage.

5. What happens if I exceed the amperage in a wire?

If the amperage in a wire is exceeded, it can cause the wire to overheat and potentially start a fire. It can also damage the electrical equipment connected to the wire. It is important to always use the appropriate amperage for a wire to ensure safety and prevent damage.