A group of order 6 that has no element of order 6 is isomorphic to S_3

In summary: I liked your idea of showing the group acting on the order 2 elements O={g,gh,gh^(-1)} by conjugation generates all permutations of them. Two transpositions can generate all of S3. Just show you get two such transpositions. Which elements of the group are likely to create transpositions of elements of O?
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]G[/itex] contains an element of order 3, but none of order 6. Show [itex]G[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]S_3[/itex].

Homework Equations

I am not allowed to use Sylow's theorems, or quotient groups.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've established that [itex]G[/itex] contains a subgroup [itex]H[/itex] of order 3, and three other elements of order 2. I know that [itex]H[/itex] is normal in [itex]G[/itex], while the subgroups generated by elements of order 2 are not. I also know that [itex]G[/itex] permutes the elements of order 2 by conjugation, i.e. if [itex]y \in G[/itex] is of order 2, and [itex]g \in G[/itex], then [itex]gyg^{-1}[/itex] will always have order 2.

I want to claim that that [itex]G[/itex] permutes the elements of order 3 by conjugation as well, but I am not sure if this is true, and if it is, how to prove it.

My idea is that I can somehow establish that if [itex]G[/itex] permutes the elements of order 3 by conjugation as well, then I can begin to construct an isomorphism. Unfortunately, this is just guess work, and at my point in my algebra career, I don't see how to do this and I don't have any idea how to even construct an isomorphism other than write out a multiplication table and brute force it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can an element of G which is not the identity create an identity permutation by acting on it?

Sorry, I don't understand your question. What are you referring to it? Are you asking me if a nontrivial element of G can create a identity permutation by conjugation by that element of an element in H? :confused:

Samuelb88 said:
Sorry, I don't understand your question. What are you referring to it? Are you asking me if a nontrivial element of G can create a identity permutation by conjugation by that element of an element in H? :confused:

Sorry about my initial confusing posts. I'm asking you if an element g of G having order 2 can create an identity permutation on H by conjugation. If it doesn't, which permutation must it create? G can't create a representation of S3 by permuting H by conjugation. geg^(-1)=e. I'd stick with your original program of permuting the elements of order 2. If H={e,h,h^2} then the elements of order 2 are {g,gh,gh^2}, right? This is probably awfully close to simply creating a multiplication table.

Last edited:
If H={e,h,h^2} then the elements of order 2 are {g,gh,gh^2}, right?

Right! I've gotten that far, tho by different means. I guess I'm hung up on how to show the two groups are isomorphic. I suppose I could just map elements to each other in such a way such that the homomorphism property is satisfied. I think I could construct a homomorphism that would clearly be bijective and thus get my isomorphism.

Samuelb88 said:
Right! I've gotten that far, tho by different means. I guess I'm hung up on how to show the two groups are isomorphic. I suppose I could just map elements to each other in such a way such that the homomorphism property is satisfied. I think I could construct a homomorphism that would clearly be bijective and thus get my isomorphism.

I liked your idea of showing the group acting on the order 2 elements O={g,gh,gh^(-1)} by conjugation generates all permutations of them. Two transpositions can generate all of S3. Just show you get two such transpositions. Which elements of the group are likely to create transpositions of elements of O?

1. What is a group of order 6?

A group of order 6 is a mathematical structure that consists of 6 elements and follows a specific set of rules and operations, such as closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. It can be represented as G={e, a, b, c, d, f}, where e is the identity element and the other elements can be combined using the group's operation to create new elements.

2. What does it mean for a group to have no element of order 6?

If a group has no element of order 6, it means that none of its elements, when raised to the power of 6, will result in the identity element. In other words, the group's operation must be repeated at least 6 times for an element to return to the identity element.

3. What is isomorphism in relation to groups?

In mathematics, isomorphism is a type of mapping or function between two mathematical structures that preserves their structure and properties. In the case of groups, an isomorphism between two groups means that they have the same structure and behave in the same way, even though their elements and operations may be different.

4. How is a group of order 6 without an element of order 6 isomorphic to S_3?

The group of order 6 without an element of order 6, also known as a non-cyclic group, can be mapped to the symmetric group S_3, which consists of the six permutations of three elements. This is because both groups have the same structure and follow the same rules and operations, even though their elements may be different.

5. Why is the statement "A group of order 6 that has no element of order 6 is isomorphic to S_3" significant?

This statement, also known as the No 6-order group theorem, is significant because it provides a useful tool for understanding and classifying groups. It also helps in identifying groups that have similar properties and allows for the study of one group by looking at another group with the same structure.