LOW:"Maximizing Hydrofoil Lift: Calculating Accuracy and Performance

• Thread starter urbsurfer
  • Start date
In summary: It would be best to consult with an expert in hydrofoil design to determine the best approach for your specific situation.In summary, the conversation was about verifying the accuracy of the results from a hydrofoil simulation calculator. The input numbers were provided and the calculation claimed that the hydrofoil would produce 53690 pounds of lift. The individual also asked about the potential effects of adding a rectangular ducting around the hydrofoil. It was suggested to consult with an expert for the best approach.
urbsurfer
I downloaded a hydrofoil simulation calculator and wanted to verify the results I am getting.
Can someone tell me if the following numbers are accurate? I am trying to get the highest amount of lift I can for a constant water velocity over hydrofoil of 20m/sec or 38.9Knots. I am also trying to keep the foil span as short as possible.

Here are the input numbers:
Foil Area Square Meters: 1 Sq M (1M span X 1M chord)
Speed M/sec: 20 M/sec
density of water kg/m^3: 1000
thickness of foil divided by chord: 0.5
Aspect ratio (Foil span/chord): 1 "This is a square foil I know"
Angle of attack: 14.32 degrees
Profile Curvature: 0.25

The calculation is claiming that the hydrofoil would produce 53690 pounds of lift with these numbers. I need to make sure this is true and also that the wing is not in a stalled state on these numbers.
Greatly appreciated. Sidenote: Would anything change if I put a rectangular ducting around the hyrdrofoil? I know in airfoils and fans, the ducting produces more volume of airflow.
BE

Engineering news on Phys.org
Before I answer your question, I would like to know if you have any background knowledge in hydrofoil simulation and design? The numbers that you have provided seem to be accurate, but it is hard to tell without some more context.

Regarding the rectangular ducting, it is possible that it could produce additional lift, depending on the shape and size of the ducting. However, it is also possible that it could have a negative effect on the performance of the hydrofoil if the ducting is not designed correctly.

LOW

Based on the input numbers provided, it appears that the calculation is accurate. However, it is always important to verify the results with multiple sources or experts in the field to ensure accuracy. In terms of the wing not being in a stalled state, it is important to consider the angle of attack and profile curvature in relation to the lift and drag forces acting on the wing. If the angle of attack is too high or the profile curvature is not optimized, it could potentially lead to a stalled state and decrease in lift.

Regarding the addition of a rectangular ducting around the hydrofoil, it would depend on the specific design and how it affects the flow of water around the wing. In general, ducting can improve the performance of airfoils and fans by directing and increasing the volume of airflow, but it may have different effects on a hydrofoil in water. It would be best to consult with a hydrofoil expert or conduct further simulations to determine the potential impact of the ducting on lift and performance.

What is a hydrofoil?

A hydrofoil is a type of wing-like structure that is attached to the bottom of a boat or ship. It works by using the water's surface tension to create lift, allowing the vessel to glide through the water with less drag and resistance.

How does a hydrofoil work?

Hydrofoils work by creating lift as they move through the water. The curved shape of the foil creates a difference in pressure between the top and bottom surfaces, resulting in a force that pushes the boat upwards. This reduces the drag and allows the boat to move faster and more efficiently.

What is the importance of calculating accuracy and performance for hydrofoils?

Calculating accuracy and performance is crucial for hydrofoils because it allows scientists and engineers to understand how the foil will behave in different conditions and make improvements to optimize its efficiency. This information is also important for designing and building hydrofoils for specific purposes, such as high-speed racing or commercial use.

How do you calculate the lift of a hydrofoil?

The lift of a hydrofoil can be calculated using the Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the speed of a fluid (such as water) increases, its pressure decreases. By measuring the velocity and pressure of the water flow around the foil, the lift force can be determined. Other factors that affect lift include the angle of attack and the shape of the foil.

What are some factors that can affect the performance of a hydrofoil?

The performance of a hydrofoil can be affected by various factors, including the angle of attack, the shape and size of the foil, the speed and direction of the water flow, and the weight and balance of the vessel. Other external factors such as wind, waves, and water depth can also impact the performance of a hydrofoil.