Derivation of the Debye Specific Heat Capacity

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Debye formula for specific heat capacity using the substitution method. The critical step is applying the Leibniz Integral Rule first, followed by the substitution, to obtain a neat and analytically tractable solution. The final form of the Debye formula is given as C_V = 9Nk_B(\frac{T}{\theta_D})^3 \int_0^{\frac{\theta_D}{T}}\frac{x^4e^x}{(e^x-1)^2}dx.
neophysicist

Homework Statement

Hello everyone!

I'm using the text:
"Elements of Solid State Physics - JP Srivastava (2006)"

I have followed the argument leading up to the derivation of the Debye formula for specific heat capacity, so we now have;

[tex]
C_V = \frac{9N}{\omega_D^3} \frac{\partial}{\partial T} \int_0^{\omega_D}\frac{\hbar \omega^3}{exp(\frac{\hbar \omega}{k_BT})-1}d\omega
[/tex]

The next equation presented is the final form which I am having difficulty deriving.

[tex]
C_V = 9Nk_B(\frac{T}{\theta_D})^3 \int_0^{\frac{\theta_D}{T}}\frac{x^4e^x}{(e^x-1)^2}dx
[/tex]

Homework Equations

We are supposed to use the substitutions;

[tex]
\theta_D = \frac{\hbar\omega_D}{k_B}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
x = \frac{\hbar\omega}{k_BT}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
d\omega = \frac{k_BTx}{\hbar}dx
[/tex]
[tex]
\therefore \
C_V = \frac{9Nk_B}{\theta_D^3} \int_0^{\frac{\theta_D}{T}}
\frac{\partial}{\partial T}(\frac{T^4x^3}{e^x-1})dx
[/tex]

Now is where I run into difficulty. Applying the quotient rule I get;

[tex]
C_V = 9Nk_B(\frac{T}{\theta_D})^3 \int_0^{\frac{\theta_D}{T}}
\frac{x^3(e^x-1)+x^4e^x}{(e^x-1)^2})dx
[/tex]

So I can see that I am tantalizingly close but clearly I must be making a dumb mistake somewhere.
I would be grateful if anybody could help me out as this is really bugging me and it's chewed up enough of my revision time already!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kreil,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I did try the Leibniz rule earlier but it seemed to get even messier, unless I am applying it incorrectly (in which case please point it out). Here is what I got;

[tex]
\frac {\partial}{\partial T} \int_0^{\frac {\theta_D}{T}} f(x,T)dx =
\int_0^{\frac {\theta_D}{T}}\frac {\partial f}{\partial T} dx +
f(\frac {\theta_D}{T},T).(-\frac {\theta_D}{T^2}) -
f(0,T).0
[/tex]

[tex]
=\int_0^{\frac {\theta_D}{T}}\frac {\partial f}{\partial T} dx -
\frac {\theta_D^4}{T(exp(\frac {\theta_D}{T})-1)}
[/tex]

[tex]
\int_0^{\frac{\theta_D}{T}} \frac{x^3(e^x-1)+x^4e^x}{(e^x-1)^2}) dx -
\frac {\theta_D^4}{T(exp(\frac {\theta_D}{T})-1)}
[/tex]

where [tex]
f(x,T) = \frac {T^4x^3}{e^x-1}
[/tex]

From this point, I don't see how it is possible to bring the 2nd term into the integrand so that it hopefully cancels out the extraneous terms in my first attempt.

Any ideas? anyone?

Last edited:
divya2000 said:
Hi,

My dad was perusing the forum and worked out the attached as a solution.

Hope it helps.

Divya

Hi Divya,

Welcome to PF. Your efforts to help on the forum are very much appreciated. However, it is against forum rules to post full solutions. Be keep this in mind for the future.

PF Rules said:
On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

Apply Leibniz rule first to the partial derivative of integral ( ∫ -- dω ) and then make substitutions --- changing the variable ω to x . Notice that partial temperature derivative of Debye frequency is zero. This gives the result.

@Divya

Please give my thanks to your father.

@Jagdish. Yes, I saw that from Divya's father's post. The critical part was applying the Leibniz Integral Rule FIRST. Then you can apply the substitution. This was what I was doing wrong. The results must be equivalent but only this method produces the result in a neat form. When done this way, the answer falls out nicely and with much less fuss as well.

It's amazing that varying the order of the steps (even though the procedure is technically correct in both instances) can make the difference between an analytically tractable and intractable solution.

Thanks once again.

1. What is the Debye specific heat capacity?

The Debye specific heat capacity is a thermodynamic property that measures the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree. It is named after physicist Peter Debye, who developed the theory for calculating it.

2. How is the Debye specific heat capacity derived?

The Debye specific heat capacity is derived using the Debye model, which assumes that the vibrations of atoms in a solid are quantized and can be treated as phonons. The model also considers the heat capacity of a solid at low temperatures, where quantum effects dominate, and at high temperatures, where classical mechanics apply.

3. What factors affect the Debye specific heat capacity?

The Debye specific heat capacity is affected by the density, atomic mass, and crystal structure of a substance. It also depends on the temperature and the number of phonon modes present in the substance.

4. Why is the Debye specific heat capacity important in materials science?

The Debye specific heat capacity is an essential property in materials science as it provides insight into the atomic and molecular interactions within a substance. It also helps in understanding the thermal behavior of materials and their applications in various industries, such as energy storage and electronics.

5. Can the Debye specific heat capacity be experimentally measured?

Yes, the Debye specific heat capacity can be measured experimentally using techniques such as calorimetry or thermal conductivity measurements. These experiments can also validate the theoretical predictions of the Debye model.