Shear and moment diagrams: help with moment diagram

In summary, The speaker shares the given problem and their work, expressing a concern with the moment diagram. They mention having trouble with the integrated function and ask for help in finding a mistake. Another person responds with calculations for reactions at points A and B.
musicmar

Homework Statement

This would be really difficult to type, so I've attached the given problem and my work. I think it is legible for the most part, but let me know if you have problems reading something.

The Attempt at a Solution

My shear diagram worked nicely. I've run into a problem with the moment diagram. After I integrated the diagonal line function to get the area under the shear curve, I should have to add 24 kN to get back to 0, but from my previous work, I was at -36.

Any help in finding my mistake would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
your reactions at A and B are miscalculated I get 23.333 at A and 18.667 at B

1. What is a shear and moment diagram?

A shear and moment diagram is a graphical representation of the shear force and bending moment at different points along a structural member. It helps engineers and designers understand the internal forces acting on a structure and is essential in the analysis and design of beams, frames, and other structural elements.

2. Why are shear and moment diagrams important?

Shear and moment diagrams are important because they provide valuable information about the structural integrity and behavior of a member. They help determine the maximum bending and shear stresses, which are crucial in selecting the appropriate materials and dimensions for a structure.

3. How do you draw a shear and moment diagram?

To draw a shear and moment diagram, you first need to determine the reactions and support conditions at the ends of the member. Then, calculate the shear and moment at different points along the member using equations and diagrams. Finally, plot the shear and moment values on a graph to obtain the diagram.

4. What do the positive and negative values on the shear and moment diagram represent?

Positive values on the shear and moment diagram represent forces and moments that cause tension and compression, respectively, on the top and bottom of the member. Negative values represent forces and moments that cause compression and tension, respectively, on the top and bottom of the member.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a shear and moment diagram?

Some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a shear and moment diagram include not considering the correct sign convention, not accounting for the distributed loads or point loads correctly, and not calculating the reactions and internal forces accurately. It is essential to double-check all calculations and follow the correct steps to ensure an accurate and reliable diagram.